No announcement yet.

domain migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• domain migration

Hello, i would love to use the search function and find exactly what i am looking for. but i dont really know how to word it.

here is the situation:

i currently have 2 Server 2003 standard SP2 servers. one is a primary DC and the exchange server (6.5), DHCP and DNS. The other is a secondary DC and sharepioint.

I have a brand new box setup with server 2008 R2 and i have purchased exchange 2010.

My company has changed names and I would like to setup the new server to replace the primary DC and all the roles it has. i want this new server to be a different named domain to reflect the company's new name.

I am not sure of the proper method. Should i setup the new domain completely on the new server (including exchange). then somehow migrate?

or should i add the new server to the existing domain then try and rename the entire thing?

i am lost and i could use some guidance!

thanks in advance!

Re: domain migration

install a new domain on the new server, using the new name

use Active Directory Migration Tool to migrate the relevant objects from your existing domain.

you may need some additional steps to cross-forest migrate Exchange

you CAN rename an existing domain, but it's not usually recommended. Why did you need to rename it ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

oh i dont need to do it.

I am just looking for the safest method, i have never performed a true migration before so i was hoping to get a method worked out first before i start pulling white papers

ADMT is the way to do it then. Read the ADMT migration guide.. it's long though
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point