Backup software for Server 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup software for Server 2008

Could anyone suggest a good backup software for Server 2008 Standard?

I've tried the server backup role and would like to explore another option. Price is a huge issue in this economy so I don't need anything crazy, just something that will do a bare metal backup to a external drive.

Thanks.

Re: Backup software for Server 2008

Good day chakotay2,

I have explored some backup solutions in the market last month. If it's fine to ask, what do you need to backup in your server?

Anyways, for me, I've used Veritas products for my files or simply for data. Veritas cannot do what you are expecting as to, bare metal restoration.

For my system files or simply your drive C: where your OS and applications resides, I used Acronis Backup and Restore 2010 with Universal Restore.

Advantage of Acronis is that, in case of disasters like hardware failure, you can always restore it to a dissimilar machine with the aid of Universal Restore. Much easier if your HDD fails and good thing is, you don't have to wait to long and have your server offline for hours.

Microsoft also recommends third party applications for this sense. Might want to check these apps and do check Microsoft partners as well, but, always think of what to backup before choosing any of the applications in the market, these are just recommendations.

Hope this may help.

Regards,
    Norms
    Last edited by nquimio; 1st May 2011, 19:27.

Comment

Arcronis looks great, but is a bit pricy for my buget. I know you get what you pay for but wondering if there isn't another option.

Comment

IMHO BackupExec is still the "gold standard" (provided you have enough gold ) but I have heard good things about BackupAssist, with a price a lot lower.

Windows Backup grows on you slowly, and is worth spending a bit more time on (again IMHO), but I still miss NTBackup
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
          Could anyone suggest a good backup software for Server 2008 Standard?

I've tried the server backup role and would like to explore another option. Price is a huge issue in this economy so I don't need anything crazy, just something that will do a bare metal backup to a external drive.

Thanks.
          Windows Server Backup can do that. It's not as robust as NTbackup but certainly can do exactly what your doing for at no extra price point.
          That said here's a couple i use:

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Disk...-10867157.html

http://download.cnet.com/Paragon-Bac...-10972187.html

Although the latter i believe isn't licensed for Windows Servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            IMHO BackupExec is still the "gold standard" (provided you have enough gold ) but I have heard good things about BackupAssist, with a price a lot lower.

Windows Backup grows on you slowly, and is worth spending a bit more time on (again IMHO), but I still miss NTBackup
            Does backup exec allow for BMR's though? I know it can do IDR's. But iv always used Backup Exec System Recovery for BMR's. Does a great job. Although im not sure it warrants the price any more as there's so many "free" alternatives on the market now.

Comment

I guess I became disenchanted with Windows Backup today due to the fact that I had corruption and needed to restore.

I was restoring to the same exact raid array (two 150 GB Sata Drives) in a Raid 1 Mirror for the OS partition and I kept getting the "The disk that is set as active in the Bios is too small to recovery the original system disk".

It was the same array. I tried to reformat, re-partition, take out of array and put back in and no joy. I tried the wbadmin workarounds, and every possible suggestion on the internet I found. Called Microsoft Critical Incident Support and they suggested the same things I had already tried.

I had to restore backup to 500 GB Drive, do a clone through acronis Home version onto the OS drive and it finally worked.

I guess no backup is perfect, I just would like to not have that much fun again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                Does backup exec allow for BMR's though? I know it can do IDR's. But iv always used Backup Exec System Recovery for BMR's. Does a great job. Although im not sure it warrants the price any more as there's so many "free" alternatives on the market now.
                Backup Exec does not whilst Backup Exec System Recovery does.

If you buy the Small Business Version (you must be running SBS though so not applicable to the OP) you actually get both products, plus a year's maintenance and license for the desktop versions of BESR.

If you want to give any Backup Exec a try, you can download 60 day trials from the Symantec Website.

With regards to Acronis. We tested it out last year and did a couple of restores with it. Both of our client's servers gave us trouble if we used the restore to alternate hardware options. We ended up having to rebuild one and luckily with the other one we managed to do a basic restore and get the system to boot as it was similar enough hardware.

We haven't used Acronis since!

Comment

Veritas is the best product that I've used.
                  Acronis is the DEVIL IMHO, I've had nothing but problems with it and their support......
                  Last edited by Wired; 4th May 2011, 05:13. Reason: removed mention of spam by another user

Comment

Yup,

I've used and find veritas quite good with no questions ask but restoring your system back in a normal state after disaster is proven to be more problematic.

For acronis, I have been using it for years too and haven't got any problems with it even going through a bare metal restoration of my servers. Support will not get you far if you don't have Premiere or Advantage plan.

Even Easeus won't match how acronis can image a drive to another and make multiple drive to sysprep in multitude.

Might have to check, simulate and test it in a lab before deploying it across for you to find how it works.

Ciao

Comment

A friend has just tested his Acronis setup and tried to do a bare metal restore. It would only do a plain old re-image and didn't do any of the bare metal prep stuff. Luckily the image booted on the machine that he tested it on but the software should at least do what you tell it to!

Comment

Mind that Acronis, and other imaging products, are not strictly backup solutions, so e.g. cannot backup Exchange and truncate logs, and restores are on a drive by drive basis
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by falbanese View Post
                          Veritas is the best product that I've used.
                          Has it been 6 years since you upgraded your backup software, cos that's how long it is since Veritas was purchased by Symantec and all of their products re-branded?

Personally, I do not consider imaging products such as Acronis or BESR as "backup" solutions, but as disaster recovery. A solution which is aware of all the products being backed up (E.g. Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint) is necessary IME, as Ossian intimated.

I'm really not a fan of Windows Server backup, I've only used it on SBS but it's lack of options is annoying e.g. the inability to exclude folders. That, and the SBS console will not let you turn off warnings if WSB is not configured.
                          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Some people still refer to it as Veritas if they were using it before the changeover. We get it in our office and noone really cares because everyone knows what they're talking about.

The difference between disaster recovery and backup is very important as you say. We tend to recommend both however it does depend on what the company will buy.

Comment

My favorite is easeus todo backup. It is easy to use and relatively cheaper!
                              One-click to ghost whole system state
                              backup to tape
                              backup the Exchange/SQL serve

Comment

Working...
                              X