Install Server 2008 R2 Root Capacity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Server 2008 R2 Root Capacity

I have set up 2 server's capacity of 1 TB,from watching trainsignal videos. They had taught to set the root space with 80 Gig's. I use the rest of the space as storage space. I am thinking that this may not be the best option. What is the best way to do?

- Set up with bigger root and the rest storage space.
    - Is there a way to point TS users profile to the storage space, and none on the root.
    -Other option ?

Thanks

Re: Install Server 2008 R2 Root Capacity

If by root you means OS partition, you better to put it on his own disk, the OS on a disk and the data on another one.

Comment

User profiles can be redirected by setting a registry key -- best done before any profiles are actually created as moving existing ones is a pain.
      http://weblogs.asp.net/whaggard/arch...09/370189.aspx

I go with 100 Gb for the OS partition, ideally on its own drive array
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Seen as you specifically said TS Users, we do it through Group Policies:

Local Computer Policy/Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Terminal Service

The entry is "Set path for TS Roaming Profiles".

As for space, we tend to over spec just to be on the safe side because changing the OS partition later is a pain. We go for 150Gb.

Comment

Yes, OS partition

with the roaming profile, if i am correct, the data is stored in 2 locations, on the OS partition, and one you point it too, or does that make the data store only on the roaming profile? Also, with the local policy, is that on the TS, or DC.

Comment

That entirely depends upon how you're setup.

If this server is a DC and you have a separate Remote Desktop Serives/Terminal Server, the Roaming profiles will be stored on the share and the local hard drive of the Terminal Server.

If this server is a TS and other servers hold the DC/file share roles then it will be the same as above.

In either of these setups, you can use the group policy location I specified to set options with regards to maintenance of the profiles. For example you can have the local hard drive profiles deleted when a user logs out. That will have negative performance implications causing slower logins. There is an alternate to cleanup profiles that haven't been used withing a certain number of days that might be preferable.

If this server is holding all of the network roles, then yes the local copies will be stored as well as the roaming copies. There would be little point in having roaming TS Profiles in this setup as you would be doubling the data and slowing down logins for no reason.
            I would not normally recommend such a setup because you are allowing users to run applications on a server that your network relies on. What happens when the boss who demands that they have administrative priviledges opens that email from the hot and horny russian bride that is waiting for him and takes out the server with a virus?

If you want the local User's folder to actually be on another drive, I believe the only way to change this is with a setting in an unattended installation file at the time you install the server. Someone else may know better but I do not believe it can be done after you have installed the server. See this

Comment

this is a TS that is part of a DC, the dc does nothing but act as a dc. The TS has 1TB, i spit the partition into 2, 80 (OS(Users)and 937 File Storage.

I am afraid that if i have 20 users, and they are saving all of there data on their profile, that 80 gig will run out fast. I wanted to point their profile to the seperate partion, cause your right, doubling data, is definately not what i want on that 80.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobe 310 View Post
                this is a TS that is part of a DC, the dc does nothing but act as a dc.
                Do you mean the server acting as a TS is part of a domain doing nothing but TS and you have a separate machine running as the domain controller? I'm not sure what you meant by "part of a DC".

I am afraid that if i have 20 users, and they are saving all of there data on their profile, that 80 gig will run out fast. I wanted to point their profile to the seperate partion, cause your right, doubling data, is definately not what i want on that 80.
                Set up My Documents and Desktop redirection to shares on the data partition. That way they won't be saving to the profile. The profiles themselves shouldn't get all that big.

Comment

its very simple.
                  If it is a domain environment, then simply create a share on the partition having 937 GB of space and then specify/set the user home drive path to this location i.e. //sharename/%username% with proper sharing permissions, also create a folder redirection policy on the domain controller for redirecting some specific user profiles directories such as desktop, My Documents, etc etc, depending on OS i.e. in windows 7 you have more options . In this way you will save some space on your root partition.

Comment

[QUOTE=beddo;237021]Do you mean the server acting as a TS is part of a domain doing nothing but TS and you have a separate machine running as the domain controller? I'm not sure what you meant by "part of a DC".

Yes, sorry, 1 machine DC, 1 machine TS

Comment

The 2nd part, not sure how to do that. never did understand what the % in %username% is. and how can i create a folder redirection policy for individual users to individual folders?
                      Last edited by Kobe 310; 13th May 2011, 14:52.

Comment

If you set up your folder redirection in group policies it will allow you to specify that the folders should be redirected for all users to a sub folder of a particular directory. It will sort out the username part for you.

With regards to setting the home path, I would suggest that won't make a huge difference if redirection is also enabled. You might get one or two temporary files but most of the data would be covered by redirection of the desktop and my docs.

As for %username%, it is a special word. If you put that into your system exactly as is then you will find that the system converts %username% into the username of the currently logged in user.

Comment

awesome, i will try, will post back

THANK YOU!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X