Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 2008 server to 64 bit system

hello everyone
    i am new to this site.. and need some help with my server..
    currently running windows server standard 2008 32 bit.
    needing to go to windows server standard 2008 64 bit..
    system is hp prolient ml350 g6 6 gig ram, 2 scsi/sas 150 gig hard drives,
    windows workgroup network with about 20 users two sites, linked with t1
    this is a new company needing major changes...

I AM THE SOLE IT PERSON HERE....
    i have ordered 12 gig of ram for the server,

I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS A SIMPLE WAY TO REFORMAT THE SCSI DRIVES TO PREPARE FOR THE 64 BIT INSTALLATION..
    by the way there is no physical documentation on site about the system..
    I HAVE READ THAT THE HP SMART START CURRENT VERSION WILL
    get me to the point of os installation (IS THIS TRUE)...
    I NEED AS MUCH INFO TO GET THIS SYSTEM READY WITH THE 64 BIT
    OS ON AND READY FOR THE NEW SOFTWARE...
    I HOPE SOMEONE CAN GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTIONS...

Last edited by biggles77; 18th April 2011, 09:00. Reason: Changed formatting for clarity purposes

Re: windows 2008 server to 64 bit system

HP Smart Start will do most of the preparation for you - however I have found it can be limited in the options it will offer you with regards to configuring RAID.

I have had more than one Smart Start only offer me RAID5 or RAID0 and no option for RAID1.

Download the latest x64 Smart Start disc here.

If you want RAID1 try the config in the Smart Start disc, but if it doesn't offer you RAID1 then restart and watch for the RAID controller BIOS to be loaded. Press F9 when prompted and configure the RAID setup from there. Make sure you've got all the data you need off the server because this step will wipe the drives.

When you boot off the Smart Start disc it will let you configure a few things and then ask for your Windows install media before doing the rest. It should also automatically install the Proliant Support Pack and seen as the latest Smart Start disc has just been released you should be good to go. If you use the disc that came with the server though you will want to download the latest Proliant Support Pack and install it once you have the server up and running. Link here

Other than that, there is plenty of documentation about both tools and the server on the HP website.

Comment

basically, you CANNOT do an in-place upgrade to x64 OS from an x32 OS.

you will have to back up all relevant data (I'll leave this up to you as to exactly what needs to be backed up, and how, and why. After all, you are the sole IT guy, so you'd have an excellent, well rounded knowledge)

Then you'd need to format the drives (again, a well rounded IT professional will know how to do this, so I don't need to tell you)

And partition them correctly based on your design, taking into consideration whether you need to separate system, logs, databases, user data etc

then you'd install the OS

then you'd reconfigure everything the way it was before, and restore all the data.

If you need any more indepth information than this, as in, if you need specific information, then i'd suggest you hire someone who has the ability to do what it is you're planning to do.

A Sole IT guy should know, EITHER, how to do this sort of stuff, OR, how to work out how to do it, without asking such an open-ended question, that essentially relates to "how do I do my job???"
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

in order to move to 2008 64bit from 32 bit you will have to do a clean install, also as tehcamel said you will have to backup all your data depending on your needs, also if there is existing sevices running on your current machine e.g. Active Directory, then you will have to do the users migration as well.

Comment

Working...
        X