Wrong Gateway assigned.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Gateway assigned.

Today I set up my first win 2008 R2 Server and I seem to have gotten most of it to work but the Server appears to be assigning itself as the default gateway to the clients. I dont know why it is doing this; the default gateway should be 10.1.10.1 but it's assigning 10.1.10.122 which is the Server's Static IP.

Any suggestions?

Please don't berate me too much it's my first post and my first server set up.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Aaron

Re: Wrong Gateway assigned.

Presumably the clients are assigned IP addresses using DHCP (you don't say).

Presumably DHCP is installed on the server (you don't say).

In the properties of your DHCP scope options, what IP address have you given for the default gateway?

What is 10.1.10.1 - a router? Another server?

What are the clients - presumably workstations, but what Windows version?

Is this a workgroup or a domain?

Please try to provide as much detail as possible to enable us to post relevant suggestions.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Presumably the clients are assigned IP addresses using DHCP (you don't say).
      Yes, DHCP is set up,running and appear to be working.

In the properties of your DHCP scope options, what IP address have you given for the default gateway? I don't see anything in the scope properties asking me for a gateway but the scope starts 10.1.10.1 and ends 10.1.10.79

What is 10.1.10.1 - This is the Comcast Business router.

What are the clients - Mostly work stations, copy/fax/scanners, and wireless routers. There is 1 other win 2003 server, a file server, that does not have DHCP or DNS active on it. The Work stations are all running Win 7 or Win XP.

Is this a workgroup or a domain? This is a Domain named SHELTER.BHS

Previously the Comcast router was doing the DHCP but that has been disabled.

Comment

You have to set the DG as a Scope or Server option in order for it to be assigned to the clients by the server.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          You have to set the DG as a Scope or Server option in order for it to be assigned to the clients by the server.
          What he said Please post the full output of ipconfig /all from a client workstation and this server.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Putting it as part of the 10.1.10.1-10.1.10.79(.1 is the DG) won't work? Should I make a new scope of just 10.1.10.1-10.1.10.1?

Comment

Once you setup the scope, you must configure the relevant option.

Googling the appropriate keywords will tell you everything you need.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

OK this is from one of the workstations that has network access and no internet access. Also, I googled as much as I could without finding what i needed; clearly it's easier to Google then set up this account to ask my question.

Documents and Settings\staff>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bhsi0031a
                Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : shelter.bhs
                Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
                IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : shelter.bhs
                SHELTER.BHS

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : SHELTER.BHS
                Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
                Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-2F-17-4D-9D
                Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.10.36
                Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.10.122
                DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.10.122
                DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.10.122
                Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 11, 2011 1:02:40 PM
                Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:02:40 PM
                Last edited by AaronBHS; 11th April 2011, 21:03.

Comment

I found these instructions on ms technet:
                  To configure the DHCP default gateway option
                  Click Start, point to Administrative Tools and then click DHCP.

In the console tree, expand the applicable DHCP server, expand IPv4, and then right-click Scope Options

Click Configure Options, check 003 Router, type the applicable Server name and IP address, and then click OK.

When I right click the "server options" under the expanded IPv4 the "configure options" is grayed out.

Comment

Click on the options node before right-clicking it.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by AaronBHS View Post
                      Putting it as part of the 10.1.10.1-10.1.10.79(.1 is the DG) won't work? Should I make a new scope of just 10.1.10.1-10.1.10.1?
                      The Scope is the range of ip addresses that you want to assign to the clients. The router, DNS servers, etc., etc. are options that you want to assign to the clients and therefore need to be set up as Scope or Server options.

Comment

Open DHCP, click the + sign until you see the option in the first image.
                        Right click on Scope Options
                        Left click Configure Options (from the options menu)
                        Set Default Gateway IP (Router) as per the second image. Tick the box the GREEN arrow is pointing to and enter the DG IP where the BLUE arrow is pointing to.
                        Click Add
                        OK
                        Right click on the line the ORANGE arrow is pointing to and click Authorize from the options available (about half way down)

Click image for larger version

Name:	dhcp-config1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	464815 Click image for larger version

Name:	dhcp-config2.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	464816 Click image for larger version

Name:	dhcp-config3.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB