Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem in Managing Network Printers

Hi,
    In our thin client environment, we are using 3 Windows Server 2008 servers as centralized print servers, about 50-60 network printers at different physical locations are installed on these 3 servers. These network printers are published to the thinclient users based on their location using a simple batch file through Active Directory Group Policy, now the main problem is that when any of these network printers have some problem e.g. printer queue is stuck, then due to this the print server printing spooling service also stucks, and all printers that are installed on that specific servers are also not responding.

any help will be appreciated.

with regards,

Re: Problem in Managing Network Printers

script to regularly restart the spooler?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Troubleshoot the cause of failed print jobs. Do they always occur on the same printer? Same model of printer? Same manufacturer?

Update Windows on the print servers as well as all of the printer drivers.

A script to routinely restart the spooler service would be an option, although I'd prefer to do that as a last resort after attempting to fix the underlying cause has failed. I would also try to have the script determine the current state of the spooler before restarting it, since firstly there is no benefit in restarting the service if it is functioning correctly and secondly because restarting the service may cause the loss of print jobs which had been sent by your users but had not yet printed.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Why do you find the need to use a script for the printers? GPO can do the same thing without a script. Deploy Printer Using GPO Server 2008
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

HI,
          Thanks for the reply and support, sorry i was away for some time.
          The problem can occurr on any printers, also windows server 2008 is installed on print servers. I like the way of restarting the spooler service but how can i check the status of the spooler service i.e. is it in halt state or not? through script.

Comment

As Gforce said you need to troubleshoot the issue, by scripting to restart the service you bypass the real cause of the problem.
            Go through these steps to troubleshoot:
            http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ems-in-windows
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the support and help.

with regards,

Comment

Originally posted by devil786 View Post
                Thanks to all of you for the support and help.

with regards,
                Does this mean your problem was solved?
                If so, it will be nice to tell us what was the problem and how you solved it. It might help someone else in the future...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

I applied a script which restarts the printer spooler service routinely, as it solves the problem a little bit but also increase the headache of sending the print again to the printer.

Comment

does the spooler actually crash on the server or does it keep running?
                    If it crashes, you could just set the restart timer very low. like several seconds or less(doesnt allow from ui).
                    Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

The spooler was crashed each time so i applied a script which restarts the spooler service routinely. It has solved my problem to some extent.

Comment

A solution to your problem would be determining and fixing what is causing the spooler service to crash. Routinely restarting the service is a short-term workaround.
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

it is very difficult to manage all the printers remotely, therefore restarting the spooler service is a better option.

Comment

this may be of use to actually finding the root cause:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussi...2/3324570.aspx
                            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                            X