No announcement yet.

Tools to manage windows 2008 servers??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools to manage windows 2008 servers??

What are the best tools to manage Win 2008 AD, Exchange 2007 on 2008, other 2008 servers from my Windows XP pro sp3?

I heard about RSAT, will it work with Win XP? Also, will the Adminpak.msi and win2003 support tools (used typically for 2003 servers) help manage 2008 servers as well.

My main tasks are to remotely watch domain controller events, replication status, computer management, DNS, DHCP etc which are all on Win 2008 and 2008 R2 servers..and my desktop is Win XP pro sp3?

Advises are thanked!
    Last edited by Insaf; 5th April 2011, 09:55.
    Insaf Muhammed
    System Admin
    -----------------
    Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Re: Tools to manage windows 2008 servers??

Google tells you that RSAT can be installed on Vista and 7, not XP.

I wouldn't think the support tools for 2003 would work for 2008.

Lots of useful information on Google though, which might be the place to start...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Google tells you that RSAT can be installed on Vista and 7, not XP.

I wouldn't think the support tools for 2003 would work for 2008.

Lots of useful information on Google though, which might be the place to start...
      Hello gforceindustries,

Thanks for your tips! I know RSAT will not support XP in the first place and Win 2003 support tools are not said for 2008 server. BUT sure as you know there could be incredible tweaks and hacks to make those apps work with XP as well as this is what IT guys typically play around. I am posting here is to receive precise tips or solution after a while of googling and ending up with shattered information! I expect from seniors like you, if you are aware, to write back with some selling ideas which I can go ahead with. It's true that I can spend half-day on net and find things out, which for some reasons might not be as accurate as what professionals post on sites like petri.com.

From my post it's clear that I just need some good tools to remotely administer 2008 servers from XP. It could be either an answer with possible solutions or a statement that it's not possible to achieve what I am looking for.

I thank again for your reply and looking forward to have a more professional support!
      Last edited by Insaf; 5th April 2011, 14:38.
      Insaf Muhammed
      System Admin
      -----------------
      Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Comment

I wouldn't have thought that you'd want to rely on tools you've had to hack around with to get working, since the problems that could be introduced by them not functioning correctly could be significant.

In your first post, you made no reference to anything you had found while researching, hence the suggestion to research.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

In the scenario given, the best tool to use on WinXP would be mstsc.exe
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            In the scenario given, the best tool to use on WinXP would be mstsc.exe
            Apparently that's an answer! If nothing is there, I gotta go with remote desktops...
            Insaf Muhammed
            System Admin
            -----------------

Comment

Or from any client you could try managingthe remote server roles and features with MMC snap-ins. After all adminpaks and RSAT tools are based on mmc
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
              X