Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming profiles & simultaneous connections

Hey,

Office is configured with server 2008 and 15 workstations, all of the users are Roaming profiles. Due to lack of technical knowledge of the users and short memory they forget to logoff from a computer prior using another computer.

I was trying to find a way how its possible to disable the simultaneous connections of roaming profiles. When a user is trying to login to workstationX while he forgot to logoff from workstationZ it will tell him, please logoff from workstationX first than you can use this workstation.

Thank you in advance!!

- D

Re: Roaming profiles & simultaneous connections

There aredifferent things you can do.
    But it involves a lot of typing so i will do it the easy way by providing you
    with some weblinks guiding you to the light, i hope.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...spotlight.aspx

or

http://www.isdecisions.com/en/software/userlock

As you can see it involves some software

you can also accomplish the task with some scripts if you
    You will find lots of reading materials about this topic

good luck

Marco

Comment

Before implementing any such restrictions, clear it with management and highlight the need for this. Also highlight the alternatives, such as local profiles with folder redirection. Present the pros and cons of each option and see which way they want to go.

If you've informed users that logging into multiple computers at once can result in data loss, then it's their fault when it happens - user education can only go so far if they're not going to take the message in.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi,

I will have the articles , thank you.

As in regards to local profiles with folder redirection, it will be a bit hard as there are app 20 ppl working in the office. I prefer to stay with roaming profiles.

The users and management been informed about data lose already and one of them already lost some data.

Thank you!
        D

Comment

20 people shouldn't be a big strain on a fileserver, unless they're handling a lot of large files at once.

One nice thing about redirection over roaming profiles is it gets you around the problem of changes in the structure of profiles between XP and Vista/7 (username vs username.v2) meaning your users can use XP or Vista/7 without requiring any assistance from IT - assuming that you have a mixed environment of course, since with 20 staff I would imagine you use OEM licences on the workstations.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
          X