No announcement yet.

Server Locking Up and Drive Warnings in Log

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Locking Up and Drive Warnings in Log

We've had a server that has been started locking up about once or twice a week. There's no dump file, and about the only thing I've been able to track down are two errors in the logs that started about the time the lockups started - and there are a bunch of these (often multiple events per second). The drives are SAS RAID 1 for OS and RAID 5 for data, and the system has a PERC 6/i controller. There are no unusual lights displayed on the front of the server.

Event ID 51
    Log Name: System
    Source: disk
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.

Event ID 57
    Source: volmgr
    Date: 3/31/2011 8:13:09 AM
    Event ID: 57
    Task Category: (2)
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="">

Starting around 11:30 last night, the disk errors stopped, and the server started to get the following IIS errors. These stopped at 5:16 this morning when I suspect the server locked.

Event ID 1120
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC
    Date: 3/30/2011 11:34:37 PM
    Event ID: 1120
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    The World Wide Web Publishing Service (WWW Service) failed to obtain cache counters from HTTP.SYS. The performance counters that were reported do not include performance counters for this gathering from HTTP.SYS. The data field contains the error number.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="">

We don't have any server directly opened to the Internet, and neither our antivirus (Trend) or malware bytes show any malware/viruses on the server.

I'd sure appreciate any thoughts.

Re: Server Locking Up and Drive Warnings in Log

chkdsk /F /X C:
    chkdsk /f /X D:
    repeat ad naseum for each volume.
    Let chkdsk run.

Warning, depending on the size of your volumes, this might take a LONG time, so schedule an outage
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point