Upgrading 64 bit Windows Server 2008 to a DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading 64 bit Windows Server 2008 to a DC

I have a home grown server that was running Windows server 2003 as a DC with no problem. I have attempted to upgrade it to 64bit 2008. The initial installation proceeds without a problem and I am able to register the product and install all the updates properly. I have been unable to upgrade it to a domain controller. Both attempts have resulted in a corrupted install and I have to start all over again.
    I run DCPromo and it runs correctly, reporting no errors. When the server reboots, it never comes back up. Taking a very long time to load (2-3 hours) and eventually opening the recovery screen not the login. The recovery does not work and I have to reinstall the operating system.
    The server is uses an ASUS M4N78 Pro mother board with an AMD 4 core processor, 4 gig of ram and 1.2 tetrabyte of storage on 2 disks. All the drivers were updated prior to installation
    I want to run HyperV and I need to upgrade to 64bit but I don't want to have to buy a new machine to do it. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Upgrading 64 bit Windows Server 2008 to a DC

So you're still having the problem even after installing 2008 from scratch rather than upgrading from 2003?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      So you're still having the problem even after installing 2008 from scratch rather than upgrading from 2003?
      Yup. I even reformatted the disks prior to installation. Still no luck.

Comment

Are you creating a DC in a new domain/forest or is it an additional DC in an existing domain?

Either way, something strange is going on.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Completely new forest and domain. Its a single server network.
          Last edited by dbguru; 22nd March 2011, 18:31.

Comment

Can you take us through the steps you're performing to setup the DC?
            Gareth Howells

Comment

1. Reformat both hard disks
              2. Install Windows Server Enterprise 2008
              3. Load wireless network service
              4. Activate product
              5. Download & install updates (run twice)
              6 Run DCPromo
              7. Select "Create New Forest and Domain"
              8. Wait for configuration to complete
              9. Check for errors
              10. Reboot Server

Comment

Is that literally everything you're doing?

Presumably then you're getting the wizard to install and configure DNS.

Where are you assigning the server a static IP and pointing it to itself for DNS?

I'd seriously recommend configuring DNS manually - it takes literally 2 minutes.

Maybe better to leave activation until you're sure it's working correctly?
                Gareth Howells

Comment

I forgot about the Static IP assigments. I am doing that prior to DCPromo, but I still get the warning message about not using dynamic ones. I've tried both the manual DNS setup and letting DCpromo do it. Get the same result either way.

Comment

What do you have the DNS pointing to once you have manually configured it? 127.0.0.1 ?
                    Have you then added the DNS Forwarders to point to your ISP?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      What do you have the DNS pointing to once you have manually configured it? 127.0.0.1 ?
                      Have you then added the DNS Forwarders to point to your ISP?
                      The DNS forwarders are set to the primary and secondary ISP DNS servers followed by the the static IP for my server itself.

Comment

For all those who are interested. I had two Sata drives connected to Sata 3 and Sata 4 respectively. A couple of times during the attempt to upgrade to the DC I got a blue screen and a corrupted install that I had to redo from scratch. It occurred to me that the second drive might be causing the problem so I disconnected it. Needless to say, that was the problem. Dcpromo ran in a fraction of the time it had be taking and I was able do add users without a problem. Server seems to be running a lot fast too.

Comment

Does this motherboard have an onboard RAID option? This may have been causing to spit the dummy. (Just a thought)

Also, you need more RAM. 4GB is NOT enough. I have a mid-range desktop with 16GB for doing Hyper-V stuff on and that is only just enough. Wish I had gone to a 32GB M/B.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X