No announcement yet.

2003 to 2008 R2 Domain Upgrade

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 to 2008 R2 Domain Upgrade

Getting ready to upgrade my domain from 32-Bit 2003 Standard to 2008 R2.

Would appreciate some advice on what order to do things and what to look out for.

Also going to upgrade Exchange from 2003 to 2010 at the same time.

Current setup is as follows (all servers 32-Bit 2003 SP2 Standard):

Server 1: DC, DNS (Primary), DHCP (for LAN), GC and FSMO Roles, File Server
    Server 2: DC, DNS (Secondary), DHCP (for WAN), GC, Print Server
    Server 3: Exchange 2003
    Server 4: Citrix PS4
    Server 5: Citrix Secure Gateway and Web Interface
    Server 6: Runs various non-critical apps
    Server 7: SQL 2005
    Server 8: Sybase DB
    Server 9: Web Server (inside LAN)
    Server 10: Web Server (in DMZ)

I can free a single spare server if necessary which I can use for any staging, but was hoping it would not be needed as I cannot free it for a couple of months and would like to get this project on the move sooner.

Last edited by itkey; 20th March 2011, 22:22.

Re: 2003 to 2008 R2 Domain Upgrade

Use the spare server as a temporary DC. Prepare the forest and domain, install 08R2 on it and make it a DC. Transfer what needs to be transferred, demote the existing DCs. They can then have 08R2 installed and be made back into DCs, freeing up the spare server again.

You can't upgrade Exchange 2003 to 2010, you'll have to migrate. Your spare server will come in handy again - install Exchange 2010 on it (after a fresh install of Windows), migrate, get rid of Exchange 2003, move that server to 2010 and move back, then again tear down the spare server. I'm sure Sembee or someone else will add significantly more detail to this.

The only way to avoid freeing up a spare server would be to use a spare workstation instead, or a suitably specced VM.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.