Error Upgrading Server 2008 To R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Upgrading Server 2008 To R2

I have 2 servers, both dell. no problem upgrading the DC to R2, however, with the TS,when selecting "go online and get the latest updates" i get and error. "Windows could not update the installation files. To install window close setup and restart the installation. Error code: 0x0" I tried uninstalling my antivirus, ran dskchk, still got the error. i finally just did the upgrade, when done, started to load, screen gray(like it should be) then a cmd window popped up. "x:\$windows.~BT\windows\system32>wpe in it" if i close it, server restarts and goes back to the same cmd screen. i was able to select windows 2008 on restart to take it back to its prvious state. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by Kobe 310; 14th March 2011, 13:33.

Re: Error Upgrading Server 2008 To R2

Have you got another DC (probably not...)
    Suggest you create one -- maybe under HyperV using 2008 in "demo" mode -- in case the DC gets totally screwed.

Then suggest you consider a complete rebuild on the DC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The DC upgraded fine,it's the TS, any idea what the error is?

Comment

Sorry -- too early in the morning to read clearly!

Some googling suggests an issue with storage controller drivers but that seems unlikely for an upgrade
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Could you give more details on the Dell servers? As Ossian said, it looks to be a driver issue, depending on the chipset you may need to upgrade the drivers before upgrading the OS to R2.

Comment

lol, that's ok, thanks for responding. i saw that too. let me know if you need more info, thanks guys

intel 5000 chipset

H7511
            Assembly, Carrier, Blank, Hard Drive, Universal, 1IN, 2
            U296G
            Processor, E5430, 2.6/1.3, 12M Xeon Dual Processor Harpertown, E0
            XN967
            Kit, Mouse, Universal Serial Bus, 2BTN, Optical, Primax Electronics Ltd
            0R215
            Cord, Power, 15A, 125V, 10, 5-15/C13
            RH659
            Keyboard, 104, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS..., UNITED STATES..., Black, DARFON ELECTRONICS, CORP...
            GD356
            Assembly, Bezel, 5U, TOWER, PE2900
            T954J
            Assembly, Card, Controller PERC6II, Serial Attached SCSI NOSLD
            J105C
            Assembly, Carrier, Hard Drive Serial ATA, 1IN
            JC881
            Assembly, Cable, 5P, Battery PERC5I
            N445N
            Display, Flat Panel Display, 17 E170SB, Black, Dell Americas Organization
            WU537
            Overpack Kit, WS8SE, English
            D558C
            Dual In-Line Memory Module, 2G, 667M, 256X72, 8, 240, 2RX8
            0R215
            Cord, Power, 15A, 125V, 10, 5-15/C13
            F656D
            Assembly, DVD+/-RW..., 16X, BARE Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology
            Y7YV4
            Overpack Kit, 3R2SE, SP2 English
            KC038
            Assembly, Heatsink, Processor PE2900
            H962F
            Hard Drive, 250G, EXPANDABLE SYSTEM..., 7.2K, 3.5 Western Digital, XL320RE
            U296G
            Processor, E5430, 2.6/1.3, 12M Xeon Dual Processor Harpertown, E0
            FG027
            Card, Backplane, Key, TOE, 2PORT Enterprise Systems Group
            NC954
            Assembly, Cable, X4, Serial Attached Scsi, B
            U8947
            Power Supply, 930W, Redundant ASTEC

thanks
            Last edited by Kobe 310; 14th March 2011, 16:21.

Comment

So it's a PowerEdge 2900? Which edition of 2008 are you upgrading from - 32 or 64bit?

Were both servers identical? You said one worked, one does not...

From what I can determine, it may be worth trying the F6 on startup option to load the storage controller drivers prior to installation. My guess is it would usually get them online, but since it can't get online it's failing and that's why the installation is failing.

Comment

T300 is the first, they both are 64 Bit.

Would that be the reason for the error on not updating at the beginning?

Comment

I'm not sure why the error at the point of updating - potentially that it didn't have drivers for the NIC, unlikely though as it is proper server hardware.

If you are able to give my recommendation of F6 then load drivers a try, then that would be great, I would be interested to see what the result is. Please be sure you are in a situation where everything is backed up safely, or perhaps clone the drive and try it on that one so that should it fail you can quickly get back up and running?

Failing that, since it is not the DC and is just a TS server, would it be quicker to install R2 from scratch and reconfigure? What sort of apps is it running?

Comment

i use this ts as my data storage too. i talked to dell, the had me burn a few iso's to upgrade the ts. i will give that a try, he mentioned that the t300 is newer that the 2900, and that r2 may not be compadable with it. hopefully it is the drivers like you guys said. will keep you posted. thanks

Comment

Dell have only recently stopped selling the 2900. Yes, the T300 is a newer model, although I believe that has now been superceded by the T310.

If your Dell service rep told you they don't support 2008 R2 on the 2900, then ask to speak to a different rep. Before the stopped selling it, you could buy a 2900 with 2008 R2 pre-installed and on their support site they are offering 2008 R2 drivers for it.

The same applies to the T300.

The quality of service coming from Dell account managers lately seems to have dropped considerably compared to only a year ago.
                      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

thanks, is this why i get the error on updating to R2, the windows updates works

Comment

Working...
                        X