Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008R2: SP1 Install Disk Space Requirement Problem

Hi all!
    I seem to be having a bit of an issue getting SP1 loaded onto my servers due to the sheer size required for installation.

I had just bumped into this URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...49(WS.10).aspx

And apparently Microsoft expects us to have 7.4GB of free space on the OS partition in order to install SP1? What?

As most our servers are on arrays with 15K SAS drives we usually keep our OS partition at its bare minimum of what is required in order to not waste on what is pretty expensive storage. As a result my typical server will only have approximately 3-4GB free on its OS partition.

Is there any way around this somewhat daft requirement as I am not able to free up sufficient space on my OS partition in order for SP1 to install.

Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance provided (:

Re: 2008R2: SP1 Install Disk Space Requirement Problem

I suspect not -- it is a massive product.

You could try using the full SP1 media and doing an upgrade (obviously make sure you have good backups first!)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's a massive update indeed (:

However, on one server where we did successfully update to SP1 the difference in disk space utilization pre and post update was negligible - so as far as I can work out the silly disk space requirement is more for temporary purposes - and that's what makes this requirement extremely annoying at this point.

Also, what I find weird, is if you look at the URL in my original post, it states that the disk space requirement is only 850MB if the installation method is via Windows Update.

But if you execute a stand-alone installation the disk space requirement is 7.4GB.

Err?

Comment

As a guess, expanding files...

Have you tried relocating your TEMP directories to a different drive (possibly mounting the drive to an empty TEMP folder to keep the path the same?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah have already thought about that and am giving it a try right now.

Have quite a few services to stop first before I move my Temp folder however as there is usually a fair bit of activity inside my Temp directory.

Quite annoying really, since most MS updates usually extract into whichever partition has the most amount of space.

Comment

Sigh, doesn't work.

Comment

What about moving the Page File off the C:
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Already have my page files on another drive /:

My servers are always configured to have absolutely nothing but Windows on C:\ ... which is a bit of a problem now because it makes it very difficult for me to free space up, because outside of C:\Windows\ there's hardly any disk usage at all.

Guess I'll need to buy a partition manager now (not really the issue) and bring a good chunk of my servers offline for re-partition (this is quite an issue).

Comment

So how big (small) have you made C: ?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My standard size for C:\ has always been 20GB; and frankly it's more than enough if any additional applications/services, SWAP, and everything else not related to Windows is on another partition.

Anyhow I've already begun to re-partition my affected servers just for the purpose of applying SP1.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post however - the amount of disk space utilized by Windows on C:\ doesn't really go up post-SP1-update, so I still do not see why it is so necessary for SP1 to require 7.5GB of free space.

(Have used Parted Magic for re-partitioning by the way - this is the first time I'm utilizing Parted Magic on a production server - I usually shun away from re-partioning a live server for a good number of reasons - but flawless thus far. Have previously used Parted Magic on a few of my workstations a long time ago but it's nice to see how well this utility has matured.)

Comment

Hi!

Install SP1 via Windows Update.
                      It requires less free space, I successfully installed it onto 3 Servers 2008 R2 with 5 GB of free space on C:...

Regards,
                      Greg

Comment

Thanks for the update Greg (:

I had noticed that detail when I read Microsoft's 2008R2 SP1 document.

They stated that you need 7.4GB of free space when installing SP1 stand-alone and only 850MB when installing from Windows Update. Thing is, all my servers get their updates from a WSUS server... so I was sortoff expecting it to be more of a "Windows Update" than a "stand-alone" install. Thus I wasn't sure if it was a typo in Microsoft's document.

Just to clarify, you did yours via direct Windows Update to MS servers, correct?

Appreciate your effort to post your success here, at least now I know (: Cheers!

Comment

Hello!

No, I did it via WSUS.
                          SP1 is now available on WSUS (from March 8th).

Or you can simply do online update check and install
                          SP1 this way....

Either way said, the only method it will work for you (and me ) is WU...

Regards,
                          Greg

Comment

Working...
                          X