Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 to 2008 r2 switch-a-roo

hello all

im about to start the transition from the whole domain running on 2000 servers over to 2008/ 2008 R2

the current GC is residing on our 2000 SQL server. i have purchased a brand new (Dell T610) to replace the current SQL server.

the proceedure to integrate the new hardware is:

1. run "adprep /domainprep" on the current GC machine
    2. make sure the new server is pointing at the existing dns server
    3. add new 2008 server as Member server
    4. promo the new server into a DC role
    5. make new machine GC and confirm replication of AD
    6. remove GC from old machine
    7. transfer all the fsmo roles
    8. configure new server as DNS server
    9. point clients at new server DNS
    10. wait anxiously for any AD errors......

does that sound about right?

i will need the old SQL server running as this runs our Dynamics software.

the plan is to keep the existing Dynamics on the old machine, installed SQL 2008 on new hardware and eventually have that running the more up to date version of dynamics, but thats a few months off. i need to update the domain first!

have missed anything off?

thanks

Re: 2000 to 2008 r2 switch-a-roo

Sounds OK

I note you are not unpromo-ing the old DC -- probably wise in view of its vital nature!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

well my original thought was to demote it down to a member, but are there any advantages of demoting?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mudcow007 View Post
        but are there any advantages of demoting?
        You would be able to upgrade the functional levels of the forest and domain to gain access to new functionality such as multiple password policies.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

ALthough, depending on the exact config of SQL server, you may have issues with it when demoting.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello one and all, finally got around to starting the upgrade to the domain

so far i have, switched functional levels on our 2000 domain over to "native" ran forest prep, domain prep and domain prep /gprep

joined the 2008r2 machine onto the (2000) domain. tried to promo the 2008r2 machine and received an error to say

"you will not be able to install a read only domain controller in this domain, because adprep /rodcprep has not run yet"

i dont want a rodc though!!

or do you have to run rodc first?

thanks

Comment

If you're installing a standard DC, then it's not a problem and you don't have to run it.

I'd recommend that you do run it, just so that it's done. Then in future, if/when you do want to install RODCs, you've already done the preparation.

Did dcpromo not allow you to continue when you got this message or did you cancel the process?
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X