Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The page failed to load

Hi,

I am getting "The page failed to load" when going into control panel > system on my Server 2008 R2 DC1 (see attachment)

I've ran sfc.exe /scannow and get that there are errors but it can't correct them. (also see attachment).

Any ideas or am I at the point I need to de-commision, transfer FSMO roles somewhere else and re-install?

Any help appreciated.

(I have backups, but not sure when problem started)
    Attached Files

Re: The page failed to load

does this happen for all users?
    is there anything in the event logs?
    Have you run hi jackthis, and a full AV Scan?

I've had a quick look through your sfc logs, and I'm not 100% sure if those errors are cause for concern.. I'll look again in a sec.

I have found some posts that suggest it could be related to the Dotnet framework - you should also check your Service Pack is up to date

Before transferring FSMO and starting all over again, try a Repair installation - sure, it's a hassle.. but potentially less time intensive than a full rebuild.

Some of the packages that failed may not be relevant for your system, they all seem to be server-core based. I'm not certain if these packages also form part of the ServerFull build, or if they are separate...
    Last edited by tehcamel; 7th March 2011, 21:00.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      does this happen for all users?
      is there anything in the event logs?
      Have you run hi jackthis, and a full AV Scan?

I've had a quick look through your sfc logs, and I'm not 100% sure if those errors are cause for concern.. I'll look again in a sec.

I have found some posts that suggest it could be related to the Dotnet framework - you should also check your Service Pack is up to date

Before transferring FSMO and starting all over again, try a Repair installation - sure, it's a hassle.. but potentially less time intensive than a full rebuild.

Some of the packages that failed may not be relevant for your system, they all seem to be server-core based. I'm not certain if these packages also form part of the ServerFull build, or if they are separate...
      Hi, yeah it happens to all users and I have done a full AV scan with two different vendors + malwarebytes - (All clean).

I can't install SP1, it errors out. I'll try a repair install. Is that essentially the same as an UPGRADE (by putting DVD in and choosing upgrade?)

Comment

After a repair install, I was getting: Setup has detected that .NET Framework 4 needs to be repaired. Do not restart your computer until the repair is complete.

I let it repair but the error kept coming back. Searching google, it's suggested to use the dotnetfx cleanup tool. I've used that and am now installing windows updates. So far everything is working great and stable... more to come after updates finish...cross your fingers!

Allen

Comment

so it was probably dotnet then ?

and for a repair install, you choose repair rather than upgrade IIRC
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            so it was probably dotnet then ?

and for a repair install, you choose repair rather than upgrade IIRC
            Not sure if it's all fixed yet... and I choose upgrade rather than repair... Let me finish all updates and see if it still is working. I have one little quirk now that it says Windows did not shut down correctly (even though it reboots fine), but I am seeing if that goes away with SP1.

Comment

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
              Not sure if it's all fixed yet... and I choose upgrade rather than repair... Let me finish all updates and see if it still is working. I have one little quirk now that it says Windows did not shut down correctly (even though it reboots fine), but I am seeing if that goes away with SP1.
              Not getting the shut down error, however can't install SP1, keeps failing.

Downloaded the 900+mb sp1 file, tried to install that, but it errors out saying to run the readiness tool. I ran that, it installed fine but SP1 still won't install.

I deleted the software distribution folder to see if that helps and am trying to use windows update again.

Any other ideas?? Pulling my hair out.

Comment

It's not clear from your first post whether you have other DCs or not, but given how long you've been struggling with this problem on your FSMO box I'd be inclined at this point to wipe it and start from scratch as you suggested originally. I'd be very reluctant to implement a tweak to let me install the service pack when I wouldn't know if the underlying problem was fixed or not.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  It's not clear from your first post whether you have other DCs or not, but given how long you've been struggling with this problem on your FSMO box I'd be inclined at this point to wipe it and start from scratch as you suggested originally. I'd be very reluctant to implement a tweak to let me install the service pack when I wouldn't know if the underlying problem was fixed or not.
                  I do have another DC. However after deleting the software distribution folder, I was able to upgrade to sp1.

I am hoping that did it. If it didn't however I think I will be xfering roles, and doing a wipe & load. I hate to have to do that, but if it makes it stable again, I may not have a choice.

For all, now is well so it's a wait and see at this point.

Thank you to all who made suggestions!

Allen

Comment

Working...
                  X