No announcement yet.

Master Browser problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Browser problems

1. I can't browse the domain from any XP machine on the domain.
    2. 8021 errors in the logs, mostly relating to an incorrectly set up Mac OS X server which was set to be the Master Browser, but is not now.

Now these two issues might be unrelated; and I am aware there are issues with XPSP3 and Server 2008; but first I would like to set up a Master Browser and stop the error messages.

Our network does span adjacent subnets. I can never see any of the client machines, even the 30 Windows 7 ones either from the server or a client.

This situation is preventing me setting up Netop Vision; which needs to be able to browse the network to find computers.

Thanks for your help - any links to good sources of information (free or otherwise) most appreciated.

Re: Master Browser problems

Can you give us more details about your infrastructure please as the above is somewhat confusing. What server OS are you using on your DCs?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Master Browser problems

Ok - sorry Tom - my apologies. Let me clarify.

Firstly, my quest is to enable XP clients that are joined to a 2008R2 AD server, browse the network. I need to be able to do this for various reasons - software related issues.

I have an AD server running 2008 R2. Most of the clients are XPSP3 machines. There are about 16 Windows 7 clients too. I cannot see <any> of these machines, browsing the Network from the server itself. On the XP client machines, I cannot browse the network at all. I get an error message; even when logged in locally as Administrator.
      The network range is from -

I have installed WINS on the AD server; and it does display records; and next to the record for this AD server, lists it as the Domain Master Browser.

However, in the Event Viewer I get this error:

"The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\WEB1 on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1819DAD5-8522-422C-B3ED-CA80F3C60280}."

The afore mentioned WEB1 is a Mac server. During set up, someone ticked the box in the SMB server settings, making it the Domain Master Browser. I have un-ticked this setting.

My only question regarding this error is: does it matter? Because my real quest is to enable the XP clients to be able to browse the Network. So perhaps the fact I cannot see the XP machines from the server doesn't matter.

If you were running XP clients on a domain controlled by a 2008R2 server, what steps would you try to enable these clients to successfully browse the network?

Thanks for your patience.