• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map a namespace via GPO

xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by JDMils; 20th June 2011, 04:06.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Map a namespace via GPO

xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by JDMils; 20th June 2011, 04:06.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    |

Comment

What about adding the network shares to the user's Win7 libraries? Can that be done via GPO?
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Meet us half way and Google it?

"add network share to windows 7 library"
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks. I found this article which uses SHLIB which will work with Win7 machines.

Now I have to go back and decide how I'm going to do this with the WinXP machines. Any ideas?

My scope says not to use mapped drives and preferably not to use shortcuts in My Network Places. Thanks.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Out of interest, why could you not use a separate letter for each of the 4 namespaces and make life so much easier?
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Because I'm testing on four TEST shared folders but in reality we have around 60 shared folders. We deal with customer accounts and due to the number of departments in the company thus the need for so many shares.

We are desperately trying to get away from mapped drive letters and we see this as not only limiting but "old-school".
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              |

Comment

xxxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxxx
                xxxxxxxxx
                Last edited by JDMils; 20th June 2011, 04:07.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                  How can I configure a GPO to detect when a user is no longer a member of a group?
                  You can't. What you could do is apply a GPO to all users with a logon script. The logon script will detect the user's group memberships (Google will help) and then selectively execute what you already have to add the link.

You'd then need to bulldoze all of the links at some point, either at logoff, or at the start of the logon script before the links are selectively re-established.

Clunky, but that'd be my suggestion.

I appreciate what you're saying about the number of available drive letters being somewhat limited, but I honestly have never had to add so many shares that there weren't enough letters.

Regarding the omission of allowing shared folders to be added to the Libraries, Microsoft base new features in part on customer demand. I can only assume therefore that there has not been sufficient interest shown in this feature.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks Gareth, your method of using logon scripts to map all drives is what we currently use on our XP machines. I was hoping to remove logon scripts from the Win7 equation but that ain't gonna happen now.

The script currently removes all mapped drives and "My Network Places" shortcuts then reads each shared folder's AD security group's notes field, enumerates all members of the group and maps either a drive or "My Network Places" shortcut to the UNC path specified in the AD group's notes field.

I'll adapt the script so that it maps network shares to Win7 libraries and WinXP My Network Places shortcuts. Thanks for your time.
                    |
                    +-- JDMils
                    |
                    |

Comment

Working...
                    X