Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC 2003 to DC 2008

Hello!

Ok in a month I have to migrate Domain controller to Server 2008 R2. Now we have one DC 2003.
    I was thinking like this...

1. Setup Server 2008 R2
    2. On Server 2003 run DVD2008:\sources\adprep\adprep/forestprep and DVD2008:\sources\adprep\adprep /domainprep.
    3. DCPROMO Server 2008 R2
    4. Transfer all FSMO roles to Server 2008 R2 domain controller
    5. Wait one week
    6. Demote old Server 2003 domain controller

We have a small enviroment, 20 clients all together...

What do you think? Is this correct procedure?

Thanks!

Re: DC 2003 to DC 2008

Sounds good
    Remember to run adprep32 depending on the 2003 OS
    Also remember to install the AD DS role on the new server before DCPromo and to give it a static IP

Also install DNS on the 2008 DC and ensure it is replicating, then change DHCP to point clients to 2008DNS and ensure all clients have updated (reduce DHCP lease time NOW so clients are looking more frequently than the default 28? days)

Remember any additional roles on the DC -- DHCP / WINS etc
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hey!

Glad you responded.

I have DHCP on Linux box, lease time 24h.

So I have to insert 2008 DVD and run adprep32 AND adprep or just adprep32?

Regards,
      Greg

Comment

either one depending on the OS (32 or 64 bit) on your current DC
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have Server 2003 Standard 32-bit...

So I just run adprep32 and thats it...

Regards,
          Greg

Comment

Yup
            <damn 10 char limit>
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

OK great!

Now I have much more info

But one thing...
              Why I have to setup AD DS before dcpromo?

Is this because I cannot do DCPROMO if AD DS is not installed (binaries), right?

Comment

Yup
                <double damn 10 char limit>
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Ahhh alrighty then.

Now I`m prepared for this

When this finished, Exchange 2007 -> 2010
                  Then Sharepoint
                  Then WWW server
                  Then....?

Damn, busy summer comming

Comment

You can run DCpromo straight away. It will install the required roles automatically if it isn't installed it yet.
                    There is no need to add the role first.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Even better

Thanks!

Comment

Just one more question....

This transition can be done without downtime for servers (like exchange2007) and clients, right?

Comment

Adding a new DC will not cause any problems. Shutting down the old DC should be done out of hours for two reasons:
                          1. any clients currently authenticating against that DC may experience permissions issues and would need to be logged out or rebooted to resolve this
                          2. any services which depend on that server which you hadn't anticipated will experience problems

Exchange may take a short amount of time to switch over to the new DC after the old one is shut down if it has not already done so. It is not necessary to reboot the Exchange server, just anticipate that Exchange may be unavailable until this happens. From memory I believe this may take up to 30 minutes.

You will need to make the new server a GC as well as transferring the FSMO roles.
                          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi!

OK, I will transfer FSMO and GC wait few days or a week and than during
                            weekend demote old DC 2003.

On this server (2003) is also SQL 2005 installed. So after demote this will become normal domain server and that is it right?
                            SQL 2005 should work without any problems with new DC...

Comment

You will need to document SQL security and make sure you keep the same access
                              On the DC there will be no local accounts, but when demoted there will be. This may affect SQL services and admin access
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X