Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up RAID 10 on Server 2008 Std R2

Hi all,

just bought a HP ProLiant Microserver, with 8gb of ram and 4 x 250gb sata drives.
    Now, i was thinking of just installing Server 2008 R2 Standard on disk0 and then putting the other 3 disks into raid 10 as this will primarily be used as a file and print server.

Problem is, not sure how to create the array.
    I went into computer management, right clicked the disk and it offered Raid 0, 1 and 5. Now this Microserver supposedly doesn't do Raid 5. I chose it anyway (as it would be preferable), and maybe that's why its just hanging when i reboot....it's stuck at installing 26 out of 64 updates.

So i think i'll crash it down and try raid10. But how? Do i create a mirrored array first in computer management, then repeat the process and create a striped array?

It's an onboard raid controller btw.

Thanks for any help offered.

Re: Setting up RAID 10 on Server 2008 Std R2

There are two separate options:
    Windows RAID (software based) which, as you say only offers 0, 1 and 5
    Hardware RAID using the controller on the MoBo -- you will access this at boot time and it may give other options.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Ossian.
      yes the bios offers IDE, AHCI or RAID as options under the "SATA Controller Mode" heading.
      It's currently set at AHCI.
      Should i change it to raid if want to use the onboard controller for raid10?

Comment

I would assume yes, but please check the manual for your motherboard / system for the details
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Will do thanks.

Although i'm thinking of maybe putting a raid 5 controller card in there as Raid 0 offers no fault tolerance, and raid 1 has performance overheads.
          Doesn't look like the onboard controller offersraid 1+0.

Comment

Something else to keep in mind is that you can also use the management software that exists for your server. Dell has OMSA (Open Manage Server administrator), and HP has something else. You never need to touch the bios if you use one of those management consoles depending on your server.

Comment

Originally posted by k.jacko View Post
              Hi all,

just bought a HP ProLiant Microserver, with 8gb of ram and 4 x 250gb sata drives.
              Now, i was thinking of just installing Server 2008 R2 Standard on disk0 and then putting the other 3 disks into raid 10 as this will primarily be used as a file and print server.

Problem is, not sure how to create the array.
              I went into computer management, right clicked the disk and it offered Raid 0, 1 and 5. Now this Microserver supposedly doesn't do Raid 5. I chose it anyway (as it would be preferable), and maybe that's why its just hanging when i reboot....it's stuck at installing 26 out of 64 updates.

So i think i'll crash it down and try raid10. But how? Do i create a mirrored array first in computer management, then repeat the process and create a striped array?

It's an onboard raid controller btw.

Thanks for any help offered.
              Have you tried using the proliant array utility ?

Comment

Oops. That's the name I couldn't think of. Sorry about that. I knew it was something like that since all companies have their own management software.

Comment

Good call, guys -- I keep forgetting the management tools in Windows (although I do have some doubts about meddling with arrays from the middle of a "live" OS )
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Servers are strong and well built. They are apt to be able to handle anything, especially those built by HP and Dell

Comment

Originally posted by k.jacko
                      installing Server 2008 R2 Standard on disk0 and then putting the other 3 disks into raid 10
                      I am really curious how you can create a RAID 10 with 3 HDDs?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        I am really curious how you can create a RAID 10 with 3 HDDs?
                        I was thinking the same

Comment

Heh, you guys being sarcastic?

Yes, raid 10 requires a min. of 4 disks.
                          I'm learning, hence this thread.

I'm actually not bothering with it now as the requirement is now....not a requirement anymore.
                          And as criminal as it is, the microserver will now sit gathering dust for a while.

Comment

Sarcastic, no. It was more of a placebo question where you would reply and we would have an idea of what you knew and from there we would know how to best advise you.

If you want a storage space for your machine, I can send you my mailing address. If the machine is just going to sit there, maybe you could ask if you could borrow it to further your experience by using it as a test lab and play with all sorts of software and configurations.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Sarcastic, no. It was more of a placebo question where you would reply and we would have an idea of what you knew and from there we would know how to best advise you.

If you want a storage space for your machine, I can send you my mailing address. If the machine is just going to sit there, maybe you could ask if you could borrow it to further your experience by using it as a test lab and play with all sorts of software and configurations.
                              Yeah, i maywell use it as a testbed. It's supposed to be able to virtualise, so i'll have a play with hyper-v

Comment

Working...
                              X