Mdt 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mdt 2010

So trying to use THIS guide to set up our MDT 2010 to use as a deployment server, I hit the apps part, it says it can only be a .cab or .msu, am I reading it wrong or are we stuck to using only cab files? I found NOTHING on being able to make your own .msu, any advice here?
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Re: Mdt 2010

Hi,

If you have server 2008 you can use WDS [Windows Deployment Service]. I have worked with WDS works smooth.
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

I'm doing a rollout soon of Windows 7 and have loaded all of our core apps into the MDT console.

None of them were .csb or .msu files. All of the files i've used have been .exe or .msi file and the relevant silent switches applied to them.

I think you might be mistaking that for updates and not applications.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        I'm doing a rollout soon of Windows 7 and have loaded all of our core apps into the MDT console.

None of them were .csb or .msu files. All of the files i've used have been .exe or .msi file and the relevant silent switches applied to them.

I think you might be mistaking that for updates and not applications.
        That's pretty much what I needed to know.

I'll update here if I have any other questions, WDS and MDT are new to me.

A+ CE

Comment

Hey guys, I'm having problems with getting Office 07 SP2 to install with MDT.

This guide here says that
          Code:
          /quiet /passive /norestart
          Will silent install it, however even using those switches it will never install after office 2007 will, it always errors out with error code 2, anyone have a clue?

A+ CE

Comment

I just used the Office Customization tool, created the relevant MSP file and left the switch at setup.exe.

Comment

I can get the actual office to install, it's the service pack I'm having problems with, I'm trying to slipstream it as I type so I hope this works.

A+ CE

Comment

Slip stream it into the existing install point then you won't need to worry about installing it later.

Or use WSUS

Comment

So after about 50+ succesful test installs on a VM with my Win7Pro OEM disc image, it's now giving me the error,

The Disk selected for installation (0) does not exist. Make sure the unattend answer file's <ImageInstall> setting references a valid disk on this computer, and then restart the installation
                  And this is for Windows 7 Pro OEM, AND the SP1 image I'm using, the SP1 image file is from the MSDN.

But booting the generic winpe disc iso from mdt there's a disk there.
                  Last edited by Managor; 24th February 2011, 21:14.

A+ CE

Comment

Try pressing F8 while in the winpe part and typing

diskpart
                    select disk 0
                    clean
                    exit

This will clear any problems on the disk and will allow you to start afresh.

Comment

i have used WDS also in 2008 works a treat only issue i have had is getting it to do a full unattended installation which i have now corrected. only issue i have with it is i cannot seem by love nor money to get it to give it its own computer name instead of just giving it administrator01 - to whatever

if anyone knows a way around this please feel free to let me know

Comment

Did you give your image the OOBE?

A+ CE

Comment

Pretty sure that the only ways to specify the computer name are to either include it in the unattend files (hopeless, as it means editing the file each time) or pre-stage the Computer Accounts in Active Directory.
                          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

So, I have some questions on MDT again.

With the app install the error codes -1 and 2, what do they mean?

A+ CE

Comment

Chekc the switches that you are using to install with.

What are the exact error messages that you see???

Comment

Working...
                              X