Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 ad to 2008 ad

Hello all,

I have this question in my mind. We have domain, includin 2 DCs, other Win srv 2003R2, other is Win srv 2008. AD is naturally Functional level 2003.

FSMO roles, are in 2003 server. Now the question:

Iwant to upgrade Domain Function level to 2008.

I figure, it means I have to change FSMO, GC etc. to 2008 server, demote 2003 server not to be DC and then upgrade DFL.

Enywhere near? Or will I be looking a new job after that....

Kindly,

Jouni

Re: 2003 ad to 2008 ad

It is a one way street when you raise funtion level to 2008. you cannot revert it back to 2003. well you can but you have to restore the system state prior to raise function level.

I believe if you are DCPromo down the win2k3, any roles that hosted by win2k3 is automatically transfer to the other DC. But to be on the safe side.. you should transfer them to 2008 server proir to do the dcpromo.

Thanks,
    HN

Originally posted by Jouni View Post
    Hello all,

I have this question in my mind. We have domain, includin 2 DCs, other Win srv 2003R2, other is Win srv 2008. AD is naturally Functional level 2003.

FSMO roles, are in 2003 server. Now the question:

Iwant to upgrade Domain Function level to 2008.

I figure, it means I have to change FSMO, GC etc. to 2008 server, demote 2003 server not to be DC and then upgrade DFL.

Enywhere near? Or will I be looking a new job after that....

Kindly,

Jouni

Comment

we are actually running all 2008 in our environment but are still on functional level 2008, we are still trying to figure out if it will be really worth to upgrade, since we indeed cant go back afterwards

Comment

Hi,

raising FFL gives you ability of to use Fine Grainpassword policies, DFS replication support for sysvol, stronger advanced encryption, last interactive logon information. So if you going to make use of those features then you need to raise FFL/DFL .
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Be carefull, before upgrading. I will recomend you to test before. You should know that Windows 2008 domain and forest functional level is only available when all DC's running Windows 2008. You can not have windows 2003 DCs.
          I would be in place upgrading Windows 2003 DC running all FSMO roles or transfer all fsmo roles to windows 2008 before upgrading or removing AD from all windows 2003 DC. Also confirm that all applications & programs running in your organisation are windows 2008 compatible.

Comment

Working...
          X