Help with errors on migration from win2k to win2k8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with errors on migration from win2k to win2k8

Hello everybody. Sorry for my poor english, I hope you may help with this problem.
    So this is the scenario: old server machine (only server in the network), win2k sp4 with AD, DNS, DHCP.
    New machine, win2k8 r2 foundation, which should replace the old server for all services: old server is going to be dismissed asap.

First of all, I ran adprep (/forestprep , domainprep and gpprep) on win2k. done without any problem.

After that, launched dcpromo on win2k8, which installed DNS and GC too.
    After this, transferred all 5 FSMO roles from win2k to win2k8 machine. Till here, no problem.

After this, stopped dhcp on win2k, and installed and configured dhcp on new machine. Set scope options to assign itsself (with ip 192.168.0.200) to clients.

After this, I hoped that everything would be fine, but instead...tons of problems.

If I shut down win2k machine (which i have not demoted yet), and restart the win2k8 server, it takes about 10 minutes or more to show me the logon screen, remaining on "applying computer settings". So the clients, which takes an abnormal time (1 minute or more) to show desktop after login. This doesn't verify if win2k machine is running.

Further that, if win2k8 machine is started with win2k not running, i have all these errors in event viewer:
    error 5781: Dynamic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'ForestDnsZones.palermo.dom.'
    error 7031: The Server Infrastructure License Service service terminated unexpectedly.
    error 2092: This server is the owner of the following FSMO role, but does not consider it valid. For the partition which contains the FSMO, this server has not replicated successfully with any of its partners since this server has been restarted. Replication errors are preventing validation of this role. Operations which require contacting a FSMO operation master will fail until this condition is corrected.
    error 2087: Active Directory Domain Services could not resolve the following DNS host name of the source domain controller to an IP address. This error prevents additions, deletions and changes in Active Directory Domain Services from replicating between one or more domain controllers in the forest. Security groups, group policy, users and computers and their passwords will be inconsistent between domain controllers until this error is resolved, potentially affecting logon authentication and access to network resources.
    error 13562: Following is the summary of warnings and errors encountered by File Replication Service while polling the Domain Controller SERVER2008.palermo.dom for FRS replica set configuration information.
    Could not bind to a Domain Controller. Will try again at next polling cycle.
    error 13508: The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from SERVER to SERVER2008 for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name server.palermo.dom. FRS will keep retrying.
    error 4013: The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed. The DNS server service cannot start until the initial synchronization is complete because critical DNS data might not yet be replicated onto this domain controller. If events in the AD DS event log indicate that there is a problem with DNS name resolution, consider adding the IP address of another DNS server for this domain to the DNS server list in the Internet Protocol properties of this computer. This event will be logged every two minutes until AD DS has signaled that the initial synchronization has successfully completed.

hope u can help me! thnx in advance

Re: Help with errors on migration from win2k to win2k8

Check your DNS settings on your 2008 server and make sure that they are set to point to its own IP address, pet hate but please don't use 127.0.0.1.

Did replication happen between your servers???

Did you dcpromo your old 2000 server to remove domain controller duties from it???

Comment

Re: Help with errors on migration from win2k to win2k8

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Check your DNS settings on your 2008 server and make sure that they are set to point to its own IP address, pet hate but please don't use 127.0.0.1.

Did replication happen between your servers???

Did you dcpromo your old 2000 server to remove domain controller duties from it???
      127.0.0.1, My pet hate as well. In addition, make sure to change the clients primary DNS server to the new server.

Comment

Working...
      X