• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Server 2003 to 2008 + exchange

Hey all,

this is my first post, so nice to meet you all,

i have a client with the following setup:

1 server, Windows Server 2003 32bit std. + Exchange 2003 (with Public folders and about 70 mailboxes)

project is to upgrade the client to a New server (new hardware) , with Server 2008 64bit + exchange 2010.

my plan is the following:

1. install the new server 2008, add it to the domain, add it as a secondery DC, move FSMO roles, set it as GC, let it replicate for a few hours
    2. install Exchange 2010
    3. set Exchange 2003 to work in coexisting mode
    4. move mailboxes, public folders, connectors etc.. to Exchange 2010, and let users work directly to EXCH 2010 for a testing day.
    5. remove exchange 2003
    6. demote server 2003 from being a DC
    7. upgrade schema & ad to server 2008

my question is,

did i forget anything? am i doing something wrong ? what would be better to do ?

any well known problems i might run into ?

any help would be great

thanks alot !

Re: Upgrading Server 2003 to 2008 + exchange

Just a reminder that Exchange on a DC is still very much NOT recommended
    Consider virtualising the DC on the physical Exchange box
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Upgrading Server 2003 to 2008 + exchange

Seems ok in principle without going into too much detail. As you no doubt are aware, steps such as ADPREP of the domain will be required etc. Tools such as MAP are good to run in the enivronment prior to the upgrade including ACT. Both free tools provided by Microsoft. Ensure DNS is healthy and run a DCDIAG and so on. Technet has some good information regarding the tools to use as well.

Of course, backup the current servers and systems prior to ADPREP and joining the Windows 2008 DC to the current AD.

Furthermore, check if there are any legacy applicatons that could be effected by moving to Windows 2008 or Windows 2008 R2 (which is only 64-bit) Joining a Windows 2008 or 2008 R2 DC will change part of the Default Domain Controllers Policy and Default Domain Policy, so ensure all GPOs are backed up prior to the upgrade. Some of the settigns is improved NTLM security. This is when legacy applications can be effected as they may be using older authentiction mechanisms.

Also, test this in an isolated environment, which you restore yuor DC to.