Time to Jump to 2008 R2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Jump to 2008 R2?

Currently running Windows 2003 Server SP2 32-Bit.

Planning to upgrade RAM and rebuild as many are sluggish and old.

As all hardware is 64-Bit I was considering whether or not to make the jump to Winsows 2008 R2 Server.

Is this a huge leap to make?

I am very much a 2003 so can't afford to use 2008 in a live environment is it's massively different.

Plan to install a test machine and get my head round it, but wanted to ask everyone if they thought it was such a big jump as I will simply go to Windows 2003 64-Bit otherwise and do the 2008 R2 upgrade as a new project later in the year if it is.

Re: Time to Jump to 2008 R2?

There are major changes from 2003 to 2008 and then minor ones to R2 but IMHO you should make the move -- 2003 is nearly 8 years old and many of the improvements are very much for the better (look into RMS, NAP and how DFS has come on, just to give some examples)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I really need to get a demo up and running at work and have a play around. Problem is I don't have a lot of time as we are having problems with out existing setup and I have downtime planned for rebuilding some of the existing servers.

If I can't get my head round 2008 R2 in the time available then I will have to go ahead with a 2003 rebuild and go for 2008 R2 later in the year.

Can 2008 R2 servers live side by side with 2003 servers? I will do my DCs (I have two so will do one one weekend and one the next) and the Exchange server another weekend. Citrix and a couple of other servers will follow a month or two later.

Other servers (SQL, Sybase etc.) will stay 2003 in the short term.

Now we don't do anything special so I'm assuming the upgrade (rebuild) to 2008 R2 should be fairly straightforward?

Comment

Originally posted by itkey View Post
        I really need to get a demo up and running at work and have a play around. Problem is I don't have a lot of time as we are having problems with out existing setup and I have downtime planned for rebuilding some of the existing servers.
        Go right to 2008 R2, if possible. The only caveat is there is no 32-bit version for R2. If you are running some software that is supported on x86 only (Oracle MessageQueue, I'm talking about you), you have to stick with RTM.

Server 2008 is perfectly able to co-exist with 2003. The differences come into play when domain is being upgraded.

Set up a virtual machine for testing. If you got beefy enough a desktop, you can easily enough run VirtualBox or VMWare WS for the testing. If you got spare hardware, just install a 2008R2 as member server, set up Hyper-V and use it to play around with guests. Mind the licensing rules for virtual OS installs though.

-vP

Comment

Originally posted by vonPryz View Post
          Go right to 2008 R2, if possible. The only caveat is there is no 32-bit version for R2. If you are running some software that is supported on x86 only (Oracle MessageQueue, I'm talking about you), you have to stick with RTM.

Server 2008 is perfectly able to co-exist with 2003. The differences come into play when domain is being upgraded.

Set up a virtual machine for testing. If you got beefy enough a desktop, you can easily enough run VirtualBox or VMWare WS for the testing. If you got spare hardware, just install a 2008R2 as member server, set up Hyper-V and use it to play around with guests. Mind the licensing rules for virtual OS installs though.

-vP
          I would go straight for R2 if I proceed so no worries there. No 32-bit only software so no problem with it being 64-bit.

I would be doing my domain controllers so would be upgrading the domain. Does 2k8 R2 upgrade easily from 2k3 or is there a lot of manual work to do?

Going to get a VM going to play in the next few weeks.

Comment

You cannot do an upgrade from x86 to x64 -- it has to be a fresh install.

I suggest you look at your hardware and consider doing a refresh at the same time as you upgrade so you can take full advantage of virtualisation as well as getting better performance
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm with Ossian and Von, I never ever suggest anyone to do upgrade on OS regardless or workstation or server. Upgrading just causing too many issue, you are combinning old issue with new issue.
              Always do fresh install if you can. You will save yourself alots of headache by doing fresh installation.
              If you only have one domain controller, you cannot effort to risk of destroying your environment. I would suggest you need to budget for a new server then install Windows 2008R2 and then dcpromo windows 2008 to your 03 env. you just need to do:
              forestprep, domainprep, etc...

Thanks,
              HN

Comment

Thanks All

I never do in-place upgrade - always prefer to rebuild from scratch.

I have 2 DCs so I can flatten one and rebuild it as 2k8 and then do the same on the other I am assuming?

Comment

Double and then triple check application compatibility for all your software before you take the plunge. For example, certain versions of Symantec Backup Exec don't work properly on R2 (12.5 and earlier IIRC) and also some AV programs - Sophos were quite late bringing out an R2 capable version of Enterprise Console.

If you choose to migrate to 2008 RTM and not R2 for any reason you will need the 32-bit media as well as 64-bit, just to run the adprep tools. R2 includes 32-bit tools on the DVD as it is 64-bit only.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X