users cannot access shared folders after lenth of time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• users cannot access shared folders after lenth of time

The system is windows server 2008 standard edition and a file server with numerous shared folders in a domain enviroment. When users accesses the shared for certain length of time, then all of a sudden, no body can access the folders via their mapped drives; and when you browse the network, the error messaage is network path not found for the server.
    However, shared become available when the system is rebooted but no event is logged in the eventlog to throw light on this problem.
    I suspected the syamantec endpoint protection so I disabled the network protection component as part of the troubleshoot but last friday, had to reboot the system before for users could work.
    Any idea or link

Re: users cannot access shared folders after lenth of time

I have never seen that issue before, but it does sound like there is some software that disabled your network shared.
    Keep an eye on the services. Check the services, Any services that automatically should "Started" if not start them and see if they can gain access to network drive.
    is there any other 3rd party firewall that you are install on that win2k8?
    can you ping from client to that win2k8 when the shared is connected?

Thanks,
    HN

Comment

Also check the SERVER service. If the share fails first try to restart the server service instead of rebooting the machine.
      gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Hi there, we too have the same problem...
        We loaded symantec endpoint ver 11.06 and ran a few windows updates (server 2008 std by the way) and every few hours the users lose connectivity to the server... we reboot and all is well for a few hours....

Have you managed to get a solution your side?

We have removed endpoint completely and switched off the nic's power saving mode etc etc but still no joy...

Please let me know if you managed to resolve it, thanks

Comment

Could it be a power issue?

I have three servers that connect to a hub which in turn is connected to a single wall socket. If the hub loses power due to a brown-out or other reason the servers will temporarily lose connectivity.

The last time this happened our two W2k8 servers recovered but our W2k3 server refused to connect. The 2003 server is also the DFS server, so no one was able to use their mapped drives to access the data (located on one of the 2008 servers). They could access the data via \\servername\sharename though.

Just a thought.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for the thought, one server is a 2003 sbs DC and it is fine... most of the posts point towards symantec endpoint causing it...
            We have completely removed endpoint and it still does it... The strange thing is that it is almost every 2.5Hours... We reboot and all is well again....
            The event logs don't really give any concrete info as to what it could be...
            Thanks again for your input

Comment

On the clients try excluding the network share as an exculusion so the scanner doesnt scan it.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Amanua - I hope I didn't hijack your post, but I think they are the same issues.... did you manage to solve it?
                Uk-We removed endpoint and it still did it so exclusions etc wont help at this stage... however I have just run cleanwipe util on the server to see if that sorts it as I feel symantec still had some entries in registry etc....

Any other assistance will be greatly appreciated - I will definately add to rep on useful assistance...thanks

Comment

From the workstations, ping is possible to the server but when a drive mapped to that server is accessed, then it completely hanks that workstation and all other workstations.
                  I had a suggestion to use the \\server\share to access the folder instead of mapping a drive or use my network places but that did not solve the problem so up till now, no solution.
                  Yesterday, I had to reboot server 2 times. Had any body find a solution .

Comment

Have you tried using DFS shares, too? Do you see the same behaviour?

Also, has this always happened or is it a recent phenomenon?
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                    X