SBS2003 to new Server SBS2008 with an added issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 to new Server SBS2008 with an added issue

I am planning to install a new SBS2008. In addition to this new production software is being installed on the new server. However the old production software is reqiured for at least a month which is on the old SBS2003 server. This is required to maintain production.

Is it possible to set this up with out transfering the old production software to the new SBS2008 box?

Can I still access this software if I demote the SBS2003 server to server 2003.

Or

Can I have them working on 2 seperate IP ranges? I am also installing new desktops and don't require to reattach the old PC to the new server.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob

Re: SBS2003 to new Server SBS2008 with an added issue

Small Business Server 2003 and Small Business Server 2008 can coexist in the same AD domain for 21 days. My suggestion would be to put together a plan to migrate to the new production software within this 21 day period. I would also suggest reading Microsoft's SBS migration guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

Or purchasing a migration kit from SBSmigration.com

http://www.sbsmigration.com/

Comment

joeqwerty

Thanks for that, I will look into the migration pack.

Rob

Comment

Note also that SBS 2011 is now out, which upgrades Exchange to 2010 amongst other things.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Just bought the server and SBS 2003 about a week and a half ago. Can that be upgraded for free given the time scale of purchase? Server bought from Dell Uk.

Rob

Comment

Working...
          X