Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPP on Windows Server 2008 R2

hello every1

i need some input about internet printing. it is regarding the comparison of the novell and microsoft solution of ipp in an intranet.

under novell, clients can install the iprint client which redirects all print jobs to the printer. the only thing one needs the print server for is for hosting the webpage clients install the printers from. if the server is gone, clients can still print.

is there such a thing under windows server 2008 r2 as well?

i have already set up a 2008 r2 print server expecting the microsoft ipp solution would work the same way as the novell solution. basically set up the server, install drivers and configure printers and ports. the website is showing all the printers and users can click, install, and print. so far, so good. clients also have the internet printing client installed and active and can install web services printers using urls such as this one:

http://printserver/printers/sharedprinter/.printer

however, print jobs are all going via the server if printers are installed via the webpage. print jobs from manually installed web services printers are going through both queues (client and server).if i stop the spooler service on the server, the print job just hangs in the queue on the client pc until the spooler on the server is restarted and the queued job is restarted.

basically the objective is to only have the print server there as a resource for installing printer on client pc. rolling out printers through gpos is not desired and neither is having print jobs go through the print server.

what am i missing and what can i do except of running a script on client pcs which would change installed network printers to local printers?

Re: IPP on Windows Server 2008 R2

Hello, are you sure about the Novell printing? My Novell knowledge is a bit outdated, but from what I remember about Novell IPP is that every printjob is going through the printserver.
    gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

yes, i am sure as this is how printing in the production environment currently works

http://www.novell.com/products/opene...er/iprint.html

Direct printing - iPrint Direct changes the iPrint printers installed on workstations to print directly to the IP address of the printer. The iPrint server is bypassed.

Comment

Indeed, seen it, iPrint can print directly. I don't think this is possible in Windows Server.
        gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]a.

Comment

Working...
        X