Unattended Install of XP via WDS 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unattended Install of XP via WDS 2008

We have a WDS 2008 server set up and there are images that deploy via it for our XP machines. At the moment we have to manually name the computer and join it to the domain. What I would like to do is set it up somehow (via sysprep.inf) that the PC joins the domain and is named after the Asset Tag name within the BIOS as part of the imaging process.

I'd like to be able to name the computer via the Asset Tag in the BIOS, start of the imaging and only have to come back and check it when it's finished. Not sit and keep an eye on it...

Has anyone done this before? Any advice? I've never written unattended images before but so any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Unattended Install of XP via WDS 2008

Get hold of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) and check the documentation for a LiteTouch install -- it (IIRC) includes ways of pulling information through WMI
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X