Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Deployment Services

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good training manuals or courses that cover Windows Deployment Services on Server 2008? I've recently changed job and have been asked to take charge of the WDS server but haven't ever used that tech before so am looking for some bedtime reading to help me...

Cheers,
    Saz

Re: Windows Deployment Services

Found some at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-48268cd235fe

Comment

Microsoft course 6294 covers all aspects of deploying Windows 7, including WDS.
      Also the self paced training kit for exam 70-686 will include some material.
      I can also heartily recommend Trainsignal's course on Win7 deployment
      http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-7...-Training.aspx
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Microsoft course 6294 covers all aspects of deploying Windows 7, including WDS.
        Also the self paced training kit for exam 70-686 will include some material.
        I can also heartily recommend Trainsignal's course on Win7 deployment
        http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-7...-Training.aspx
        Thanks for the tips, will definitely have a look at the Win 7 courses, are there any XP courses that cover WDS? (My work is still running XP although we are testing 7 slowly...)

Comment

Official XP courses tend to cover RIS (the evil predecessor of WDS ) but all the stuff in 6294 can be applied to XP
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

IIRC (been a while since I did it!) there are only a few differences between using XP and Vista/7 in WDS.

1. You can't do a "basic" install, as XP doesn't have a WIM file so you need to build and capture a custom image.

2. Unattend files are generated differently (Process is 1000 times easier in XP than in 7 weirdly). You need to download sysprep and the other tools from MS, it's a file called Deploy.cab.

3. Unattend files go in different paths.

Setup etc, and the server Unattend file is all the same as using Vista or 7. It is brilliant once you set it up though, I did it for a customer and spent 6 hours installing XP and buliding the image. Once it was done we could deploy the OS in 20 minutes.
            Last edited by cruachan; 25th January 2011, 13:26. Reason: Typos
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for the input guys - I will check out course 6294!

Comment

Working...
              X