Problems with folder redirection for Win7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with folder redirection for Win7

We've been using roaming profiles and folder redirection for WinXP a while with no problems, and for the record we're using two different shares betwen the two. We have two servers, and both are 2008R2. We started the process of updating our workstations last week, but all our folders are empty. The problem is our XP users are having their data save where specified in the folder directory options of the group policy, while all the folders for the Win7 users are remaining under the username.v2 profile directory.

I've been googling for an answer, but so far nothing has helped.

Thank you.

Re: Problems with folder redirection for Win7

Basically nothing you can do -- WinXP uses one version of profiles and Win7 a totally different one

Once you have Win7 profiles populated you can copy some things (favourites, documents, desktop) from the XP profiles
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the response, and I knew the profiles are not compatible between the two, but to me the profiles and folder redirection are two completely separate things. Are you saying in Windows 7 you cannot save profiles to \\server\profile$\%username% and folder redirection to \\server\folders$\%username%, and that the Documents have to be saved to \\server\profile$\%username%\Documents even if the GPO is defined for the folder redirection to a different place? I thought this was the reason for specifying different locations for the profiles and folders, so that the folders can be access from either profile.

Comment

Sorry, I didnt pick up what you were saying from the original post.
        AFAIK there should be no issues redirecting e.g. the documents folder to the same location but dont have the facilities to confirm that by testing right now.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've continued troubleshooting this problem, and I've found that folder redirection does work with a new account. It doesn't work with any of the old accounts, even if the group membership and container with AD U&C are identical between the old and new accounts. That is, I can log into a new Win7 machine that doesn't work with the old profiles, create a new profile, and log into the same machine and everything works.

Another thing I find very interesting is that if I run the Group Policy Results Wizard, the old accounts simply will not/do not run the GPO for folder redirection, while the new accounts will. If I create a new account and log onto an XP machine prior to Windows 7, folder redirection breaks again some times.

Any thoughts? I'm going crazy here. Thanks
          Last edited by baskervi; 24th January 2011, 23:52.

Comment

Just for the record, we're creating all new accounts. We never could solve this problem.

Comment

Working...
            X