Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k8 mixed mode with Win2k3

Greeting Teams,

My Windows 2k3 is holding all the FMSO roles. I also have Win2k8 Ent R2 as a member DC.
    I want to move FMSO from 2k3 to Win2k8. but Im not sure what is the side effect on this.

1. Am I still be able to DCPromo Win2k3 as a member DC if I need to do that in the furture while my win2k8 holding all the roles?
    2. Am I am able to move the roles back to Win2k3 from Win2k8 if I need to?

Thanks,
    HN.

Re: Win2k8 mixed mode with Win2k3

AS long as you do not raise domain and forest functional levels above 2003 native mode, you will have no difficulty with either
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      AS long as you do not raise domain and forest functional levels above 2003 native mode, you will have no difficulty with either
      Yes, I would not raise the domain function and forest level yet. Because I have other 70 DCs that is running Windows 2003.

is there any benifits to move the FSMO roles to Windows 2008? or should I just leave it on Windows 2003?

and if I transfer the roles to win08, would my exchange 07 and sharepoint have any issue with that?

Thanks,
      HN
      Last edited by Humannetwork; 17th January 2011, 00:47.

Comment

Hi,

Moving roles to W2K8 won't cause any issues, Exchange and Sharepoint should work as expected. However if you are not migration over to w2k8 and phasing out w2k3 i would suggest leave then the way they are unless you are moved by some strong reasoning to do so.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

We are not planning to introducing any Windows 2003 from this point forward. Any new DC from this point forward we will put them on Win2k8 and demote Win2k3 at that location. But we cannot effort to replace Win2k3 with win2k8 all at once

Thanks,
          HN

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
          Hi,

Moving roles to W2K8 won't cause any issues, Exchange and Sharepoint should work as expected. However if you are not migration over to w2k8 and phasing out w2k3 i would suggest leave then the way they are unless you are moved by some strong reasoning to do so.

Comment

Working...
          X