Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instaling & configuruing WS2008 on a new server

Hello,

Company I work for bought a new server to be used mainly as an application server. My task would be to install the OS and the application needed.

Server configuration contains 4*250GB 3G SATA hard disks.

What to do next (as I have small experience in installing and configuring 2008 Server). I created a RAID 1 with 2 of the HD. What space should it be recommended to use for the OS partition (total in 250 GB) ? Also I should probably create a SWAP but I don't know the size (Serevr has 4 GB of memory).

Sorry if some of my questions sound stupid, but I do not want to make any mistakes and I consider that asking for advice to people with more experience than me it's the best way.

Thanks in advance !

Re: Instaling & configuruing WS2008 on a new server

IMHO:
    100Gb for the OS partition
    8Gb Swap (on another drive array) for your RAM (basically i use 2xRAM up to 6 Gb then 1x RAM for bigger)

But you must have some storage requirements which would affect your partitioning too?

With 4 x 250Gb drives you could have:
    2x250 (RAID 1)
    1 x 500 (RAID 10)
    1 x 750 (RAID 5)

What is the server intended for?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks for your answer !
      SQL 2008 will be also installed but server will not be stressed. There's an application that uses SQL but only around 6 users will work with it, and the database will also be only around 1GB.

So...

2*250GB to RAID1

from this, 100GB dedicated to OS and SQL 2008 instalation ?
      also the SQL databases I think should be on this RAID.

2*250GB I'd say to RAID 0 ?

from this 8GB SWAP
      ~30 GB to SQL Logs...

What do you think ?

Comment

I would make 2 x RAID 1 and put the Db on the second array (with the swap file) and the logs on the other volume on the first

Actually, I might think of the RAID10 option with say
        OS -- 100 Gb
        Swap + Logs -- 100 Gb
        Data -- 300 Gb

I know separate arrays are preferred but if it is a low volume server you might gain more from RAID10
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks all for the support !

99% I'll go with 2*RAID 1. If in the future additional space is required, than more HD can be ordered (4) and and create a RAID 5 or whatever will suit our needs.

Comment

Working...
          X