Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Discovery on TS SERVER 2008 R2

hi

i have a terminal server (2008 R2) with about 150 terminal users.

im beating myself with something id call relatively easy but any help is a bless:

i have configured and restricted everything with GPO

but whenever a user reaches or selects the NETWORK button

it scans the entire network and showing all my computers and servers which is real bad for me.

been googling and found that NETWORK DISCOVERY should be off

1. i cant find it anywhere on the GPO

2. did a little local test turned it off manually but still network scan occurs.

need help here people

thanks in advance

Re: Network Discovery on TS SERVER 2008 R2

Network Discovery is not in GPO, but local.
    When it is disabled, the computer should be invisible to the network and it cannot see anything else. The computers you see after ND is disabled might be from cache. Try running ipconfig /flushdns command (from an elevated prompt) to clean the DNS cache and check again.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

hi thanks for the reply

in my case its terminal server sessions so no computers

should i configure each profiles local settings? is it not runned over by GPO?

anyway i have to disable it , flush dns is not much of an option for me

any other ideas ?

im mostly configured session using the gpo

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by moransi View Post
        in my case its terminal server sessions so no computers
        You said that servers and computers are shown in the NETWORK window. This is what I meant to. It doesn't matter if you're seeing the list from the console, an administrative RD session or a plain user.
        should i configure each profiles local settings? is it not runned over by GPO?
        No, it is not available in GPO. You can see what you can set through GPO in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Group Policy Settings Reference.
        Network Discovery is a system-wide setting, not user-related. Hence, disabling it once will be enough.

anyway i have to disable it , flush dns is not much of an option for me
        What do you mean "flushdns is not an option"? You said you disabled Network Discovery, but you still see computers. I suggested you clean the DNS cache. Have you disabled Network Discovery? It can be found in Networking and Sharing Center.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

ok i might have mixxed some info together, i just want to understand :

should i flush dns on the server itself \ turn off ND on the server itself ?

sorry for the minor ignorance

Comment

NP, better to ask twice.
            The Network Discovery is a system-wide setting. You need to disable it from an Admin session. You should understand that this will make the server invisible from the network. If you have shared folders on it, they will be unaccessible.
            The DNS cache, AFAIR, is also system-wide. Thus ipconfig /flushdns should also be run from that session (if you run it from a low-level user, it will ask for elevated credentials).
            Hope it's more clear now.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
            X