X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring Software

Dear All,

I hope you guys can help me.

I am searching software for remote controlling of some networks.

I would like to have software so i can see the health of the hard drives / raid controllers.

We are a new company and have some customers that have a small server environment. But we can not monitoring the servers. Is one server down? Something wrong whit a server?

I hope you guys understand what i am searching for?Searching for something that is not too expensive and easy to use.

All Servers are Windows 2008.

Greatz Steven

Re: Monitoring Software

What make are the servers -- many manufacturers (e.g. Dell, HP) provide you with monitoring software
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hp servers.

Can i download it?

Comment

Pass -- Ask HP!
        Normally it comes pre-installed or on the media shipped with the server but I guess it depends on the exact model you have...
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Your sure? Also remotely?

Comment

I think you mean Ilo from HP.

I check this out, Thanks.

Comment

I didnt mean ILO which, IIRC, allows remote management of BIOS phase of boot etc, but it may be useful

Dell have a web based utility which allows you to pull up server info and e.g. BIOS logs and I think HP have the same but I do not know what it is called
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

HP's Rilo can utilise SMTP to send monitoring information (event notifier), it's something I'm looking to setup.

Other things you can use are ServersAlive (not used it for a while), but we do use 'DUDE' which you can use to build a network map and then monitor using SNMP and email alerts

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
                  HP's Rilo can utilise SMTP to send monitoring information (event notifier), it's something I'm looking to setup.

Other things you can use are ServersAlive (not used it for a while), but we do use 'DUDE' which you can use to build a network map and then monitor using SNMP and email alerts
                  You have more info about the Dude software? Website?

Comment

Well, I have to say I'm not exactly sure what you want. You're asking for a solution to
                    remote controlling of some networks
                    , but then you ask for
                    I would like to have software so i can see the health of the hard drives / raid controllers
                    So, you have HP servers. Which one? Which of the thousands of models available? How can I tell you if you have iLO available or not (since it is not included in all models)?
                    Anyway, for the sake of the future generations, I can tell you that:
                    - most of the new DL servers have the Basic iLO2 license included. It allows you to connect to the server on the lowest hardware layer possible and see its health status. You can turn it off, switch it on, cold reset it or whatever power option you have whilst you're standing on front of it.
                    - for some $$ you can buy a license to Advanced iLO2, which will open additional options to you: graphic remote desktop (needed to manage Windows servers), virtual drives (you can mount your disk-on-key or your CD from your PC in the office on the server at the other end of the globe and install it from there) and few others.
                    - if you're talking BL servers (blades), you have the Advanced iLO2 license included, given you have the On-Board Administrator card installed in the enclosure (which you probably have, otherwise I cannot see how you will manage in the first place).
                    For alerts, you can use Event Notifier, which is part of the HP Management Agents, available when you install the Proliant Support Pack on the server. Again, given your server is one of the models PSP are available for.

Hope this helps. For more accurate info, please give the full details of your clients' set-up.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by Cool Ice View Post
                      You have more info about the Dude software? Website?
                      http://forum.mikrotik.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                        Well, I have to say I'm not exactly sure what you want. You're asking for a solution to , but then you ask for .
                        So, you have HP servers. Which one? Which of the thousands of models available? How can I tell you if you have iLO available or not (since it is not included in all models)?
                        Anyway, for the sake of the future generations, I can tell you that:
                        - most of the new DL servers have the Basic iLO2 license included. It allows you to connect to the server on the lowest hardware layer possible and see its health status. You can turn it off, switch it on, cold reset it or whatever power option you have whilst you're standing on front of it.
                        - for some $$ you can buy a license to Advanced iLO2, which will open additional options to you: graphic remote desktop (needed to manage Windows servers), virtual drives (you can mount your disk-on-key or your CD from your PC in the office on the server at the other end of the globe and install it from there) and few others.
                        - if you're talking BL servers (blades), you have the Advanced iLO2 license included, given you have the On-Board Administrator card installed in the enclosure (which you probably have, otherwise I cannot see how you will manage in the first place).
                        For alerts, you can use Event Notifier, which is part of the HP Management Agents, available when you install the Proliant Support Pack on the server. Again, given your server is one of the models PSP are available for.

Hope this helps. For more accurate info, please give the full details of your clients' set-up.
                        Sorinso,

Well I would like to remotely see (at my office ) what's the status of the raid controllers / Hard Disk.

Servers are ML350.

Thanks for the great answers.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
                          Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Cool Ice View Post
                            Well I would like to remotely see (at my office ) what's the status of the raid controllers / Hard Disk.

Servers are ML350.
                            You did not say what generation they are, so I'll take a great risk in guessing... Since the last ML350 model that had not iLO built-in was ML350 G4 and it was retired in March 2006, I can be adventurous enough to say that you don;t need anything else, not even the Advanced license.
                            All you need to do is:
                            - connect the iLO port to the network;
                            - give it a static IP (even if you do work with DHCP, it should be static - creating a reservation might be a good idea);
                            - set its credentials, change the default password to something you will remember. If all you want to do is watch its health status, create a low-priority user and use it from remote;
                            - set all the network devices to allow connection to it through HTTPS protocol (port 443) (especially if your customers are behind NAT). Test the connection form your office to the server. Now, test it again . Test it as often as you can, to be sure everything you set-up is still working. You will not want to discover you cannot connect to the servers during a crash, only because somebody at your customer changed the iLO's IP or credentials;
                            - I hope you have installed PSP on the server. If not, please do so. If you do, you have Event Notifier available, configure it to send you e-mails when troubles occur... This way you will be ahead of them
                            I cannot connect to my systems at the moment, I will later post a screenshot to allow you to see what you're getting. Meanwhile, you can see more info on HP's iLO official page.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X