Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 STD performance issues

Hi,

We recently installed a new HP DL 380 G7 with 2 Quad core zeon processors, 36G of Ram, and configured it for terminal services for 15 users to run a 3rd party accounting application with SQL 2005 back end (not the ideal configuration but that's how it was set up).
    We have been running into performance issues since day one and for such a high spec server we would have expected a lot better performance.
    Server hands and random times of the day when doing anything from reading emails, using Excel and also running the accounting application.
    I have tried removing symantec endpoint, moving the accounting application to another server, defragging the hard drive, Teaming the Nic's (4x1 G NICs) but cannot figure out what is the cause, I have spoken to HP and loaded the latest proliant support pack (drivers, firmware etc etc) to no evail.
    I ran Op manager to test server CPU, disk, memory performance and server is using less that 20 % of Ram, CPU, disk utilization but the problem still occurs.
    The issue occurs even when no users are logged on to the server, I remotely logged on and ran Task manager and noticed huge spikes in the CPU while the server is on idle.
    I appreciate any help with this as it is driving me insane.

Thanks

SZ
    Last edited by samz187; 9th January 2011, 14:23.

Re: Server 2008 STD performance issues

Have you checked which processes are using the CPU when it spikes?
    Have you updated all hardware drivers / BIOS / firmware (OK -- you say you have)?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi
      I have updated all the firmware, drivers etc.
      The system idle process is taking up all the CPU.
      Other processes only take 10-20 percent of CPU when the server is in production.

Sz

Comment

System idle normally takes up all spare CPU time -- do not worry about it
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I

what about the slow performance of the server?
          With current specs we have, the performance is far worse than the ml350 we had previously runnnig 2003 with only 4g of ram.
          The response time with launiching an app or even tabbing across an excel spreadsheet is some times 2-3 minutes. This even happens when I am the only user logged on.

Sz

Comment

Check other running processes
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Hi,

Other processes are fine, our reporting system shows only 20% of the CPU's is being used so it can be a process issue, I did check task manager when the server was running slow and CPU usage was 15%.
              Is there a benchmark/performance tool/s that I can run to test overall health and performance of the server.

Comment

Would the fact Server 2008 STD x64 only supports 32GB of RAM have anything to do with it? Try removing 16GB and see what happens.
                Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                  Would the fact Server 2008 STD x64 only supports 32GB of RAM have anything to do with it? Try removing 16GB and see what happens.
                  Doubt it.

OP: How are you running 36 GB?

Comment

Sorry guys we have 32G of Ram.

Comment

Whats the Hard drive configuration like?

If its only got a single drive, then the problem could bethe SQL server is killing that drive. Long shot... but I ahve seen sillyer things kill servers.

Other then that, I would get the Server running on a "correct" amount of RAM (Ie, anything thats a power of 2, so 32GB here).

Also, REMOVE ALL HP MONITORING APPLICATIONS!
                      I have had a isolated problem where the HP montoring applications will poll teh WMI service till the server is driven into the ground. HP will not tell you about this, and its removed from there message board as soon as its placed up, so info is limited. But try removing all there bloatware on the server and see if that helps. If not, you can always reinstall it.

Wht does the servers heatlh page say (if anything)? Does reason does it give for the sabilitly issues?

Failing all this, you could get a Bootable Stress test (once again, avoid teh HP ones, use 3rd party), and see if that tells you anything.

I dont really trust HP's Stress test, as they have rather large Margins, so a drive that has 1.99% Bad sectors will show up as fine.

Wofen
                      Good to be back....

Comment

Use the Performance Monitor to get some readings from the system. Add some counters for network bytes in/out, page faults and physical disk bytes in/out and disk queue. Don't worry about averages, pick up instant values every, say, three seconds.

What you describe sounds like the server is waiting to get something for CPU. Most likely it is the disk or network. Lok for a pattern of rising and falling CPU usage and more or less its mirror image in network or disk counters. That is, pattern like high CPU -> low disk and high disk -> low CPU.

Are the Windows event logs clear? What about IML and SMH logs?

-vP

Comment

HI,

We have 3x Raid 1 volumes on the server and SQL is installed on its own dedicated volume,
                          I did find tons of event around the same time the server slows down relating to printer drivers trying to install.
                          We are running HP printers installed on another server.
                          The events are
                          1) Product: 64 Bit HP BiDi Channel Components Installer -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753. The arguments are: ipm12.8444768D_9A2B_44BE_BD52_02FB1B25C55E, ,"

2) Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\HPZBDI64.M SI. Client Process Id: 9036.

3) Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\HPZBDI64.M SI. Client Process Id: 18024.

These happen to every user that logs on (we have 15 using TS) and are choking the server.

I will need to find out the problematic printer and HP printer support is not very helpfull.

I ran the prformance monitor on the HDD, CPU and shows huge spikes around the same time these event happen and the HDD is really getting a work out, I dont want to enable write cache as I believe it cancause data loss/corruption which we dont need on an SQL server.
                          COuld this be corrput spooler files causing this, I read on internet forum articles suggsting to create a blank notepad file and give it the same name as the MSI trying to install (renaming the original forst to .older something).

Any other suggestions is greately appreciated.

SZ

Comment

Working...
                          X