Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth on Server 2008 R2?

Part <rant>, part request for information

I'm preparing a new HP laptop to use to deliver MS courses (effective minimum specs have now gone up to 8Gb RAM on the host machine... I smell collusion between MS and the laptop makers ) and obviously need Server 2008 on it, so I've installed R2 Enterprise

Previously I had the same setup on a Toshiba M400 tablet and had no problem installing the Toshiba Win7 drivers on 2008R2 and everything functioned -- including Bluetooth.

This time I have had the most awful struggle:
    ATI graphics won't work with HyperV role installed unless I install R2 SP1 (not even released yet ).
    WiFi won't work out of the box -- needs the feature enabled
    Network driver won't work -- need a slightly different model

And most importantly, I cannot get Bluetooth to work -- HP software for Win7 errors on me badly and various fixes (based around the links here) give unsigned device errors which would require selecting test mode every damn time I boot the thing.

Why Bluetooth -- well, I have a trusty MS Presenter Mouse which lets me control Powerpoint and run demos from anywhere in the training room and I really cannot work effectively without it

<\rant>

So, has anyone in a similar situation managed to get Bluetooth (its a Broadcom 2070 device) running on Server 2008 R2 with SP1 RC installed?
    Laptop is a Probook 6550b with 8Gb RAM
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Bluetooth on Server 2008 R2?

I am going to make an ass out of me and me but did you install the drivers before or after Hyper-V was installed?

[rant] Totally agree re your rant. Just reinstalled Win 7 on a Core Duo 2GHz, 4GB RAM 64bit laptop and it runs like a frozen sewer. Seriously considering putting XP back on it again. Win7 runs fine in a VM with 1GB RAM or 1,536MB with Office 2010. At the moment I have 2 IE sessions open with a total of 10 tabs and it reminds me of Concordes cruising speed (Mach 2.04). This piece of bloatware is using 2.04GB Memory. Got a machine for running Hyper-V that has 16GB RAM and have discovered it bloody isn't enough. Gotta keep shutting VMs down and I can't run a half reasonale Virtual Network as I hoped. Server 2008 runs crap on 1GB and R2 really likes 2GB as a minimum. Not looking forward to throwing Exchange 2010 into the mix. SBS 2008 is rubbish with 4GB. god knows what SBS 2011 will be like with that. Thinking it will need 6GB minimum in a VM. SBS 2008 really wanted 8GB minimum on a physical. Wonder if I can plug in a 250GB USB HDD in ReadyBoost. [/end rant]

Sorry Tom but you started that rant infection.

Warning for others, please don't follow suit and [rant] like us older farts. We can create a thread in the Lounge for that and when I am "sober" I may just do that (if I can remember to do it).

Obvious question but i have to ask, have you got the latest drivers for your laptop?
    Does Windows Update find anything newer?
    Have you installed the latest M/B Chipset?
    I know it will be a pain, but have you tried Server 2008 on it.
    Last edited by biggles77; 9th January 2011, 14:54.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Tried to get the hardware functioning before HV -- then gave up and added it
      Latest Win7 drivers, according to the HP site
      Not updated BIOS -- will double check if there is one
      Not in a position to try vanilla 2008 without undoing the last day's work -- I think that would work as it allows unsigned drivers but I would then lose HyperV memory management with R2SP1 (and if you have worked with any recent MCT courses, you will realise this is vital.

<rant>
      Why did Microsoft not include Bluetooth support with Server 2008 and R2 -- I can think of lots of uses for it beyond laptops
      </rant>
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I remembered that the mouse came with a bluetooth dongle and, just for a lark, plugged that in and installed the latest Intellipoint drivers for Win7x64.

Lo and behold the mouse worked fully, although it doesnt show up as a Bluetooth device in Device manager, just a HiD.

Very strange as I can see no reason the internal Bluetooth shouldn't then work (and yes it is enabled and works fine on the Win7x64 dual boot installation on the same laptop.
        Tom Jones
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

Comment

Putting my old desktop support hat back on (Been a while!), what state is the bluetooth device in? I.e. off, software off, radio off etc.

I saw a batch of laptops back in around 07 that had major bluetooth issues on laptops that shipped with one OS but were then installed with another. Turned out that the Vista driver turned the chip off into a state that couldn't be turned back on by the XP driver.

Built-in bluetooth support is notoriously bad in Windows, so it may just be that the USB dongle uses a different chipset that 2K8 is happy with though.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Ossian - have no solution for getting your internal bluetooth to work with 2008 but am just posting in sympathy, I tried to get my HP laptop to run Server 2008 in an effort to help familiarise myself with the OS but like you had issues with bluetooth, eventually gave up in frustration and am back to Win7 on my laptop and everything including Bluetooth works fine...

Comment

Does anything on here help with getting it working?

http://www.win2008workstation.com/

Off topic slightly....

Biggles, for SBS 2011 the recommended minimal ram is 8GB, however on our five user setup in sbs 2008 with 12GB its at 90% used, typically we stick 16GB in SBS 2008 boxes

Comment

Thanks, Madman -- I found many of the links off your site.
                Because i am using R2 the only way around the unsigned driver issue is to boot every time into "test mode".
                Since the dongle works without any changes, I will stick with that, and still <rant> about microsoft on this one
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X