• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restore backup to hyper v machain

dear all
    can i restore my physical server backup to hyper v machain
    thanx

Re: restore backup to hyper-v machine

Yes, but whether it works is another a question entirely. I've encountered both results. At least the hardware changes from the OS point of view, so be prepared to spend time with fixing network and disk settings.

Ed: As how the restore is done depends on what kind of backup (type, software) you have used in the physical system.

-vP
    Last edited by vonPryz; 8th January 2011, 10:19. Reason: Restore procedure.

Comment

Re: restore backup to hyper-v machine

thanx von ptyz

Comment

Re: restore backup to hyper v machain

If your physical server has RAID drives you will struggle, best thing is restore to a physical machine and either use p2v in sccvmm or disk2vhd which will resolve the hardware problems.

Richard

Comment

Can you tell us more about the machine and why you need to restore it?
          If it is a P2V conversion, better to use proper tools to do it
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

do a sysprep on your machine it strips out the old physical hardware

Comment

I restore P2V many times.. but I used Symantec System Recovery software..
              basically I back up the entire system. Then I setup a virtual machic to accomdate the hard drive size. It does has to be the same size as the physical machine. You just need to have it bigger then the USED size on the physical machine. Then restore them to virtual node.

Thanks,
              HN

Comment

Working...
              X