Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win 2008 serial not entered at install, how to now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2008 serial not entered at install, how to now?

Hi,

We have purchased a server and a windows 2008 license, but because the information given by the reseller was very very confusing (*) we did not enter the serial number at installation time.

* It is a legit reseller but doesn't do a good job. We were given a link to a MS customer account where we were supposed to get a Volume licence for this along with the additional licences we got, but process was quite convulted.

So when we finally figured which one was our license number I proceeded to the activation tool assuming it would require our serial and activate the instance based on it...

...but the thing is it never asked for the serial yet it said something like 'Activation was succesful'. and the Genuine Windows logo appeared, there is no "X days remaining for activation", and basically everything looks fine... but since I didn´t enter the serial I am worried it will cause trouble in the future (i.e. complain about activation overnight and stall)

Before activation there was a Product Key on screen, and there still is, but AFAIK that is not the same as the Serial Number, right?

What I am doing wrong here??

regards.
    Siko.

Re: Win 2008 serial not entered at install, how to now?

look into SLMGR.VBS
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Go to Start-> Control Panel -> System and Security -> System. On the lower part of the window you should find a link "Change product key". If you have doubts the system activated using your legit key, click on it, enter the new key and re-activate the server.
      Never done it, so cannot tell you how it will work.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
      In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -
      «««««

Comment

Just a thought. The OP mentions a Volume Licence key. This may require KMS or MAK to get the whole shebang to work.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

it can be activated manually,
          if you open up server manager, on the main screen, somewhere near the bottom you will probably see an area with a link that says activate now or something like that, there will be an option to active manually by phone, you will be given a number to contact Microsoft with, they will run you through the process over the phone and you will need to type in alphanumeric characters on your screen during the process (MS support will guide you through the process) and in the end you will be able to legitimately activate your copy of Windows Server.

I had to do this a few times before we got a kms server installed locally to handle these activations automatically using our volume license keys.

Comment

Originally posted by rfcilia View Post
            you will probably see an area with a link that says activate now or something like that
            The server was already activated. The OP's concern is that was done with a wrong serial number (or not his, anyway), so a new serial number should be entered.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

I'm going to cause dissention by suggesting that if
              (a) the server is activated with a valid license key and
              (b) the owner has proof of license (COA sticker or paper documentation from MS-- not just a vendor invoice)
              why bother changing it?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well, Ossian, you might be right. I have encountered cases in which VLK licenses made their ways to the Internet and were declared illegal by Microsoft. All computers were re-activated with a new key.
                So, as for now the key might work, but while you cannot know where it comes from, one can never be sure it will work forever ...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                -
                «««««

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  The server was already activated. The OP's concern is that was done with a wrong serial number (or not his, anyway), so a new serial number should be entered.
                  You're right, sorry, I read it again, it was already activated.

Comment

rfcilia, you are not the only one to miss that bit of info. Me too.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      you are not the only one to miss that bit of info
                      Good thing that the Vulcans are still around

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                      -
                      «««««

Comment

Also Vulcans round??? I thought they were tall with pointy ears.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Also
                          C'mon -- you should know that THIS is a Vulcan -- no pointy ears in sight:
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                          X