Opening pdf links from IE8 in 2008/TS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening pdf links from IE8 in 2008/TS

We have a 2008 TS and when logged on as administrator we can click on pdf links which open fine (although we've had to disable in adobe reader 'open in browser' due to an IE8 issue).

The problem is, when I login as a domain user, the same link results in a blank page being loaded, if I disable the open in browser window in the reader settings, clicking the link does nothing.

Via sharepoint pdf links open, but I understand it handles lthese in a different way.

There's lots of info about blank pdf using IE8, but not via 2008/TsS

Any ideas?

Re: Opening pdf links from IE8 in 2008/TS

Are you referring to local links or external links? There is an issue with Adobe Reader X where pdf's accessed via DFS share paths will not open unless you configure Preferences>General and uncheck 'Enable protected mode at startup'.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

External links, click on a website pdf and we get a blank page as 'Done'

Works ok if I log into TS as domain admin, not as domain user

Comment

I have two TS server running Windows Server 2008 and the users are pretty locked-up. But there's no issue with opening PDF links.
        Can your users download files on the TS server? When you click on the link, does it pops the Information Bar stating that the browser blocked a file being downloaded?
        You said you disabled something in Adobe Reader. Have you tried to enable back the setting and see if it solves the problem? BTW, what issue are you talking about? As I said, I am having the same set-up and have no problems with PDFs...
        What version of Adobe Reader are you using?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Can your users download files on the TS server? When you click on the link, does it pops the Information Bar stating that the browser blocked a file being downloaded?

No, when logged in as domain user and click the link it simply changes the active IE window to a completely blank page.

You said you disabled something in Adobe Reader. Have you tried to enable back the setting and see if it solves the problem? BTW, what issue are you talking about? As I said, I am having the same set-up and have no problems with PDFs...

Yes, I unticked (logged in as domain admin) Reader > preferences > Internet > Display PDF in Browser - This sorted the links not working in sharepoint for domain users, which forces it to open the reader application. If I re-enable it I get an error (can't recall specifics) but it related to not being able to open site.

What version of Adobe Reader are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
            No, when logged in as domain user and click the link it simply changes the active IE window to a completely blank page.
            I think you need to have downloading files enabled. I would change the policy on a test user and see if it helps.

Yes, I unticked (logged in as domain admin) Reader > preferences > Internet > Display PDF in Browser - This sorted the links not working in sharepoint for domain users, which forces it to open the reader application. If I re-enable it I get an error (can't recall specifics) but it related to not being able to open site.
            These settings are user-based. You cannot change while using the Admin and then to expect to remain the same on the non-Admin users ... Again, you might want to try with the test user...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              I think you need to have downloading files enabled. I would change the policy on a test user and see if it helps.
              Seems to do the same for myself who is domain admin, but ok on 2003 TS/IE7

These settings are user-based. You cannot change while using the Admin and then to expect to remain the same on the non-Admin users ... Again, you might want to try with the test user...
              That's what I thought, but yesterday when we were experiencing the problem, changing of the setting when logged in as admin seemed to reslove it. I've just changed it back in admin and it still seems ok for sharepoint pdf files.

Comment

A bit more info, if I turn off protected mode in IE when at the page where the pdf link is, the pdf opens.

If protected mode is off before I get to the page, I get IE has stopped working

Comment

A bit more info, if I turn off protected mode in IE when at the page where the pdf link is, the pdf opens.

If protected mode is off before I get to the page, I get IE has stopped working
                  This was the next thing I was thinking for you to check. Turning it OFF solved few of my issues also.
                  First, I suggest you read an MSDN article explaining why Protected Mode is important.
                  Second, you can disable Protected Mode through GPO based on the zone you are in. If you talk about your Sharepoint server, be sure is in the Intranet Zone (or add it to the Trusted Zone) and disable Protected Mode only for it.

Let us know how it worked out.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

This continues to be bizzare.

I have some users who have the option unticked but it makes no difference whatsoever.

Having tried to replicate the problem I was logged in as a standard domain user and had the Internet Protect mode unticked and it would not open a link, so I ticked/unticked without luck.

I then login to the same TS as domain admin open IE, logoff and the on again as the forementioned domain user and the links then prompt as normal to open.

It's frustrating for sure

Comment

Working...
                    X