No announcement yet.

Ready Only files on Storage Server 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready Only files on Storage Server 2008

I have recently implemented a new NAS appliance with Storage Server 2008. It is replacing a older NAS appliance with SS 2003. Over the weekend I moved my first set of files from the old to the new. All the files that I moved are opening up as ready only. Users are unable to edit and save a file. Users are accessing the files via Terminal Server on Server 2003. Is there something that needs to be done for 2003 to communicate with Storage Server 2008. I did find a Knowledge base article from Microsoft (326549). I tried the workaround suggested, but made no progress. Your help would be appreciated.

Re: Ready Only files on Storage Server 2008

One thing I am trying is to Enable Windows 2003 File Services. Not sure if this will make a difference or not.

Have you checked your share permissions -- default is "Everyone Read"
      Also check the NTFS permissions on the SAN volume
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

How did you copy the files across? Did you use Robocopy? Robocopy allows you to copy the permissions across with the files, otherwise they will inherit the permissions of the parent folder into which they are copied.

Create folders with the correct permissions on the destination server.
        Use Robocopy to copy the files.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy