No announcement yet.

new server volume strategy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new server volume strategy

Hello, I am setting up a new server for my small business to replace the aging NT Server which has served us well.

I have purchased a HP DL380 G7 Server with 6GB Ram E5620 CPU, and will be loading Windows Server 2008 R2 X64 using HP Smartstart.
    Small office, Foxpro Database, file storage, 10 users
    I am looking for the highest possible reliability as I think this server will have more than enough power for what we need it for. Of course I am also open to suggestions like redundant PS, more ram etc. if required.
    This server has 8 SFF Hot Swap Drive Bays.

I am wondering if I should set it up with 4 drives in a 1+0 RAID ?
    Should I set up a separate volume for the OS and a separate volume for data (this is what we have on our current NT Server).

Then there is the option of RAID 1 on the OS Volume, and then Raid 1 or Raid 1+0 for the Data volume. or what other suggestions do any of you have?
    We will be using SATA Drives due to the much better pricing.
    I currently have 2 HP (Seagate ST9500530) and some WD Black Scorpio 500 drives which we will be using.

Please advise any thought and hints to do this the best way is appreciated.

Sorry if this has been discussed prviously, I have been reading as much as i can and have not found a previous thread on it.

Last edited by DougP; 2nd January 2011, 01:26. Reason: non-relevant

Re: new server volume strategy

personally i'd do a RAID1 system volume.
    i'd then do RAID5 for the rest, maybe 2 separate volumes, depending
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: new server volume strategy

For greater reliability, does the server RAID controller support RAID6 (2 failures allowed).

If not, RAID 1+0 allows two failures (if they are the correct two drives ) and all the others allow one failure only.

IMHO think about separate OS and Data volumes, but maybe on one array

Also, given the small number of users, you may get cost benefits by using SBS (you get Exchange and possibly SQL as well as the core server OS). You may not need them now, but in the future if you do, this will save you lots of money, as well as making management easier
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **