No announcement yet.

deny folder create/ allow file update

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deny folder create/ allow file update

I want to be able to stop users from creating or moving folders. But when I set the deny on create folders then users can save a new file to the folder but can not update an existing file.

Re: deny folder create/ allow file update

I want people to beable to create file and update them, I just don't want any with a couple of exceptions creating folders. Users make such a mess when they can add folders. I hope someone has the answer to this. not looking good.

Give people a chance to reply -- we do not have a SLA here, and if we did it would be longer than 3.5 hours
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Sadly, what you are trying is not possible, at lest without a File management system.

With the File premissions the Create Folder and modifiy are the same, as to modifiy a file, it has to recreate it, and for some reason that we will never know, MS decided that adding to a file is the same process as creating a Folder (as a folder is really just a file type).

If anyone here wishies to correct me, I wish I am wrong, as this has always been annoying to me.

PS: If you are going to "Demand" answers so fast, give us more details, like what the current premissions are, what premissions you have actuly tried, and what you need them for. giving us almost no info (as to WHY you want to do this) makes it almost impossible to help you out. The only reason I have any idea what you are trying to get, is that I asked this same question a few months ago.
        As my saying goes, a OP is not a OP without at lest 1 paragraph, not just a line.
        If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
        IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

I apologize if I seemed to be demanding an answer. I have been searching the Microsoft and all over the web to a get answer to this question. When I made the comment that it didnít look good I was referring to the answer I expected to get, not that people where not responding. Thank you for your answer to my question.
          The problem that I have is I am trying to keep the server directories static. This is our customer part data area on the server. It is organized by customer/ part-rev with 8 subfolders under each part-rev that are separated by type of documentation. I have users that decide they want to add folders that donít belong in the file structure. The area then becomes a mess. The server is windows 2008. Trying to police this is a nightmare.
          I had tried to deny subfolder creation in older versions of windows server with the same results, I was hoping that this had changed in 2008. Again thank you for your time and answer.

What is the folder structure.... like folder > sub folder > sub folder

As per MS when you are playing with permission it advisable to keep the folder to only 3 level.

I can help you because we have the same setup in our environment

We have three groups let say modify, read and list (pretty clear by name)

Inheritance may or may not be broken.

Let me know if you like this model i will get you the permissions
            Thanks & Regards

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
            Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
            Independent IT Consultant and Architect

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points