Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapped drive frequent disconnection

Hi all,
    I have recently purchased Dell T710 PowerEdge server with windows 2008 standard Edition. I have used it as DNS, DHCP and File server. I have created shares and the shared folders are mapped into the client workstations as different mapped drives by using VBscript. It was working fine before but now there is frequent disconnection of the mapped drives.

Once the clients log in, after few seconds they cannot access the mapped drives. But after few tries it reconnects and then disconnects.
    Even if i do RDP to the server from one of the clients, the connection gets disconnected after some seconds and it reconnects again and the process goes on and on. From the win 2008 server if I try to access shared drives of other windows 2003 server, the connection drops frequently. It seems the connection to and from win 2008 is not continuous.

However, the funny thing is if I ping to win 2008 server, the ping is continuous, without any drop.

I have read somewhere there are issues regarding Dell servers and Broadcom Network card. Is anybody having similar problem? Please I desperately need some advice on it.
    Last edited by biggles77; 22nd December 2010, 07:34. Reason: Removed formatting for easier reading

Re: Mapped drive frequent disconnection

A ping is not always a good test for drops, as you could have a problem on the line stopping larger packets (that would not effect a ping packet).

See if you can copy a large file between servers, or setup a FTP and upload/download into it to test the network connection.

Does this only effect the drives mapped on the 2008 server, or is it effecting all drives mapped on the network. If unsure, please map a drive and test for us.

Can you also test to see if you map it by hand (no scripts) does it work?

Thanks,
    Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Thanks Wofen for the quick reply.

Yes when I try to copy files from win 2008, let's say 20 files about 16 MB, I have to retry 2 or 3 times to copy successfully.

About the mapped drives in the network issue. Now I have copied the same folders to another windows 2003 server which works as BDC. The connection is smooth with win 2003.

About scripts, even if I map drives with \\sharefolder, without any scripts, the connection drops.

As far as I am concerned, the problem occurred after once I tried to copy large files from win 2008 server to Buffalo Backup Terastation (backup device).

Comment

Check to make sure that the Backup device is not attempting to do anything on those mapped drives. It could be something as simple as the backup software is unmounting it, if its attempting to do on access backups.

Does the connection drop when coping files from a network share, not a mapped drive (not quite sure if that is what you ment by your 2nd line).

I just want to see if we can isolate the problem to being a mapped share on the 2008 box, or if it could be a problem with the 2008 network connection.

Also, I am going to assume that you have checked the health of the 2008 server to make sure there are no bottle necks that would be stopping this (Like hard drive, Network?).

Other then that, nothing jumps out of my head, so I will do abit of googling and see what I can find.

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

Hi Wofen thanks again

There is no relation of backup devices to the mapped drives. And I have already disabled the backing up s/w (sysmentec exec).

Yes the connection drops even from the network share which are not mapped. Any connection to and from windows 2008 server is not contuous.

One more thing is the connection to the internet also breaks frequetly. It reconnects again and goes on like that.

Regarding hardware issue, Dell people have already changed motherboard for it but they couldnot solve the problem. And I am sure there is no any hardware issue apart from NIC card issue with the dell servers.

Do you have any suggestion? Please share with me.

thanks

Comment

Do you have a virusscanner on the box?
            if yes wich one.

Comment

Hi mhoogev,

Yes I have used ESET smart security. I have even turned off firewall on it eventhough no progress.

thanks

Comment

Have you tried a 2nd Network card?

I know that would not explane how the ping kept going, but at this point, I would put a 2nd card in if at all possible, or use a different NIC.

Other then that, just monitor everything and look for something strange.

Wofen
                Good to be back....

Comment

Has anyone mentioned anything about a possible switch problem?
                  Are the dropouts always happening to the same machines?
                  Have you run a Network Protocol Analyzer to see if you can find a cause with that info generated?
                  Is the Server fully patched?
                  Have you run malware, spyware, root revealers etc on the Server?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Are you running the latest version of the broadcom drivers???

Have you run the LifeCycle controller updates to see if thre is a firmware update???
                    Last edited by biggles77; 29th December 2010, 13:12. Reason: Fix typo

Comment

Working...
                    X