Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using DHCP and Static IPs on the same NIC

Hello all,

I'm a new member so I can't post URL's yet (after 5 posts it is allowed) but I can point to the article on this site where the article I'm referencing is:

dub-dub-dub.petri.co.il/configure_tcp_ip_to_use_dhcp_and_a_static_ip_addre ss_at_the_same_timedot htm

I've used this technique for years (thank you very much!) but now that I've upgraded my servers and moved into virtualization with Windows Server 2008 VMs the registry key mentioned no longer exists.

Now there is a key called 'DHCPIPAddress' and it has the properly configured DHCP IP posted as a value in that key.

How can I get 8 to 15 static IP's assigned to this same NIC in Windows 2008 please?

Thanks.

Re: Using DHCP and Static IPs on the same NIC

Why would you actually want to do that?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

For exactly the same reason that I've been using this technique for many years. It allows me to have the DHCP Server filter IP assignments by MAC Address as well as allows me to assign multiple static IPs to the same nic card from the DMZ zone where I can assign a hosted domain to its own static IP and use DNS to specify which domain a request would be routed to.

So far it looks like I'll just have to assign the IP directly as static in the properties box of the nic under IP4 heading...

Just so that you'll know, that this site has an article posted on how to accomplish this with XP, Win 2000, Win Svr 2003..

Comment

I've just checked on a server 2008 install that i have in a VM and the key is available to me.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X