Moving four 2003 domains into one 2008 R2 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving four 2003 domains into one 2008 R2 domain

Does anyone have a good checklist, template, or high level document of the recommended steps for a domain migration? We will be moving mail, users, workstation, applications, etc. from the four 2003 domains into the newly upgraded 2008 R2 domain. About 800 users, 50 remote sites, and each domain that setup differently will be decommissioned.

As a project manager with many years of NT Admin experience, I am trying to think big picture when creating this plan.

I have been searching this board and Google with no avail.

Thanks in advance

hoover11

Re: Moving four 2003 domains into one 2008 R2 domain

Hi,

Nice to get involved in Technical Management. You need to plan this what you want to migrate as mentioned user's, mailbox, workstation, application and whatever under 2003 to 2008 domain.

I/we can help you with task. To design an effective planning and execution you need to decide how to go about this.

You need to identify what you want to move first and how users would be accessing application once they are moved.
    How applications will be moved to new domain.

If you can provide me some overview of your AD setup, Application, Your need new W2K8 domains (same forest but new domains or separate forest with trust ??)

I can then help you.

1. Same Forest but different domains
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Hi Please give some details about your four 2003 domains i.e. How are they setup Also How do you want to setup these four domains on windows 2008, what are your goals for the new setup on windows server 2008?

Comment

read the ADMT documentation to start with
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you guys in advance for the help.

Here are the details:

Goal - have all users, workstations, applications move into one existing 2008 R2 domain (#1) and completely decommission the domains 2-5.

Domain #1 DCs are already upgraded to 2008 R2, 300 users, Exchange 2007. No changes needed at this time.

These domains need to be moved into domain #1

Domain #2 30 users, run Small Business Server
          Domain #3 30 users, its own domain, Outsourced Email
          Domain #4 150 users, its own domain, own email and about 5 applications running, 5 small remote sites
          Domain #5 50 users, its own domain, 8 small remote sites

General comments, info and some current thoughts:
          - I am not sure of the best way to setup the forest. Was thinking same forest/same domain (please advise)
          - Two way trusts are setup between all domain at this time
          - All user workstations and network printers, will be moved as is into domain #1 (no upgrades)
          - All network applications will be moved to the new domain
          - New user accounts will be created for domain #1
          - No groups or users will be migrated from other domains
          - No changes to the backup infrastructure or phone system until after the migration is complete
          - Move outsourced Mail and PSTs to domain #1 mail server
          - Assume all WAN links are sufficient
          - Assume all user home drives and company data size is manageable enough to move to the Domain #1 location
          - Nearly all the non-standard user applications for all domains already live in Domain #1
          - I am using the ADMT guide wow, is it larger (which is good)

Comment

Hi,

can you clarify on this?

Domain #1 DCs are already upgraded to 2008 R2, 300 users, Exchange 2007. No changes needed at this time.
            - I am not sure of the best way to setup the forest. Was thinking same forest/same domain (please advise)

From statement 1 it appears that you have already upgraded to 2008 r2 then why you are asking the second question. So what is the new structure

Goal - have all users, workstations, applications move into one existing 2008 R2 domain (#1) and completely decommission the domains 2-5.
            - No groups or users will be migrated from other domains

This seems contradictory....
            Thanks & Regards
            v-2nas

Comment

Ok, sorry.

Domain #1 has already been upgraded to 2008 R2 and it will be our single remaining domain.

Each user will get a new account with similar/same permissions in the new domain. They will be put in new or similar groups (with a new naming structure). Domains 2-5 will decommissioned after everything has been moved or recreated.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the update

Domain #1 has already been upgraded to 2008 R2 and it will be our single remaining domain.

Is your W2K8 domain is in W2K3 Forest [Old Forest] or Is it a new Domain in New forest?

Since you are creating users and groups from scratch then essentially you need to move users data like home drive and exchange data, converting exchange mailboxes into PST files.
                Home drive migration can be scripted either using vb /powershell /batch along with using Robocopy and Richcopy

network printers can be migrated using PrintMig utility

Application specific migration: what kind of application are these if these are custom build then probably the team who developed it can suggest you something on them
                Thanks & Regards
                v-2nas

Comment

The W2K8 domain is in the W2K3 Forest [Old Forest].

A mixture of apps that I will work with the app teams on. Nearly all are in Domain #1

One thing I am unsure about is how best migrate (or recreate) the users with thier home drives and email in the new domain. I am reading the ADMT guide trying to get an idea.

FYI - we will install RO DC's on Domains 2,3,5

Thank you

Comment

Hi,

Since you are creating users and group from scratch there is no option to migrate as you mentioned earlier.

You can create csv files with users and group information, group membership info using powershell and questad (This will require scripting techquices) based on csv files/input data you can automate creation of groups, users, group membership (this may cause incorrect permission flow), however permission needs to be taken care manually.

Home drives: How do you have home drive mapping in existing domain. is it GPO based or static mapping using homeDir attribute. What kind of profile users have local or roaming

Email address: Since you will be creating users, email address creation, mailbox creating can again be scripted using exchange management shell

RODC is ok for remote location. The setup is pretty straight forward and managaing and password replication requires just some understanding
                    Thanks & Regards
                    v-2nas

Comment

Unless you want to migrate You can use ADMT v3.2 for windows server 2008/R2/2003

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nickmac/arch...t-shipped.aspx
                      Thanks & Regards
                      v-2nas

Comment

With ADMT you will also need PES (password Export Server) 64 bit (in case if you want to migrate the users along with the passwords),
                        In my opinion it will be good if you can create new users from scratch , it will take some time but it will be good for the future,Also before starting the migration , make a test environment in your LAB(identical to your production environment)using VM,s and make sure that migration is feasible.

Comment

Working...
                        X