Server 2003 to 2008 R2 migration sequence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 to 2008 R2 migration sequence

I am going to replace an old server running MS Server 2003 Standard Edition (32-bit), with a RAID 1 to a new Server running MS Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, with a RAID 5. Is there a certain order in which to best migrate the roles and services? I plan on retiring the old server after the migration is completed.
    The following need to be migrated:
    · File
    · Print
    · Remote Access/VPN
    · Domain Controller (Active Directory)
    · DNS
    · DHCP
    · WINS
    It will be running “SQL 2008 R2 Express” also.
    I have read the TechNet instructions for the migration but have not found any other details.
    This is the first time that I have attempted a server migration, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Server 2003 to 2008 R2 migration sequence

This is completely new hardware?
    IMHO consider keeping the old one to handle RRAS as this really should not be on a DC

Otherwise:
    Build new server and join to domain
    DCPromo, then add DNS and check for replication
    Add DHCP and configure new lease settings (new DNS server in particular)
    Deactivate scope on old DHCP server
    Once clients have moved over, remove DHCP and DNS from old server then unPromo

Other options can be moved at any stage

As said, look into separating AD/DNS/DHCP/WINS from other roles, either using 2 servers or virtually. This is for security reasons.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the quick response.
      Yes, the server is new and on order from Dell.

The customer is a non-profit organization (church), which has very limited budget. So one server is the most that I have to work with; a beefed up PowerEdge T410 tower server by Dell. The current server they are using is an IBM tower server which is approximately 4+ yrs old and is out of warranty. So I don’t really what to put anything on it if I don’t have to. There are only going to be seven users at most accessing the server at one time.

Considering the information I provided above, do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Comment

Still suggest keeping the old server to handle RRAS -- if it breaks, you can move it to the new server pretty quickly.

Alternatively consider SBS as the OS on the new server as it is designed for multiple roles and will give you Exchange too.

Apart from that, previous advice on sequencing stands
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for your help.
          You have answered my questions.

Best wishes on your holiday...

Comment

Working...
          X