Additional licencing for Windows 2008 servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional licencing for Windows 2008 servers

I hope this is the right place to put it. We currently run our internal network with the Microsoft Action Pack. We have 10 users so that just about covers us with the licensing.

We are having someone new start with us next week, so I'm assuming we need to purchase an extra license for their Windows CAL and Exchange CAL.

It's been a long time since I have been involved with any licensing. Can I purchase one additional license for the new user or do they only come in packs of five. Also where can I buy licensing from, do i have to go through a Microsoft partner or go to Microsoft direct?

Re: Additional licencing for Windows 2008 servers

Licenses normally come in packs of 5 and you can buy them from any source who sells them legitimately.

Do a quick check that no-one has left and you are definitely at 10 CALs already, then order more. Note MS do all licensing on an "honour" (or "honor" for my American cousins ) system so there is no checking, just your paperwork, so nothing to stop you using the extra license once the order has been placed (IMHO)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Licenses normally come in packs of 5 and you can buy them from any source who sells them legitimately.

Do a quick check that no-one has left and you are definitely at 10 CALs already, then order more. Note MS do all licensing on an "honour" (or "honor" for my American cousins ) system so there is no checking, just your paperwork, so nothing to stop you using the extra license once the order has been placed (IMHO)
      There's definitely only 10 of us. 8 in my office and 2 who work from home over a vpn. One of the guys here uses a linux machine so is not on the the domain but he does access the file server and his email client is connected to exchange so I counted him as using up a CAL for each.

Comment

Have you read the EULA for your MAPS pack? Also, I would find it highly unlikely that you would be legal if you added a licence pack to a MAPS install. MAPS is to be run on your internal network for testing, training and demonstration purposes. It wasn't intended to be used in an expanded business operation.

That is my understanding of my MAPS pack so I may have misunderstood what it says (like most Microsoft licensing content).
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No, MAPS is available to Registered Partners for operational use -- you are thinking of Technet Plus.
          AFAIK there is no rule against extending it, as long as you keep paying your annual fee ($300 for me)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
            ($300 for me)
            How do you get it so damn cheap? MS sure intercourse us over D'under because the last time I updated it cost me AUD$699. They take the US price and multiply it by 2.5 and it was the same for TechNet. MAPS I can understand being a tiny bit more costly since they have to ship the media ALL the way from Singapore but TechNet WHY THE DIFFERENCE? Maybe MS is being charged for downloads not by the bandwidth but by the bloody kilometre.

My apologies for the rant but I did have a Beef with the price so maybe it really wasn't too far off after all. (No Tom, I am not trying to start a pun war )
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ouch! you are getting done
              I paid (IIRC) 200 so about $300-320 depending on rate. My MAPS is now electronic delivery too.

Don't know about Technet prices as MCTs have got it free for the last couple of years
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

We get ripped on TechNet as well. I think it is time I put a parrot on my shoulder and hoist the Jolly Roger.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I got a bit of a confusing email off Microsoft regarding this.

Additional licenses can be purchased through standard channels (value-added resellers, large-account resellers, and distributors).
                  These additional licenses can be used in conjunction with the copies you receive through your Action Pack subscription.

You can find a list of Authorised Distributors in the United Kingdom on the following website:

https://partner.microsoft.com/UK/lic...s/distributors

However, we advise to contact the Pre-Sales department first to enquire if the licenses that you intend to buy are indeed compatible with the Action Pack licenses.

Telephone: 0844 800 2400 (Option: Business customers)
                  So first they say yes, I can buy additional licences but contact pre sales beforehand to make sure they are compatible with the Action Pack

With regard to pricing, we paid 199 last year and this year it has gone up to 259. Microsoft blamed "adjustments in the currency exchange rates" for the 30% increase

Comment

Just buy them (IMHO) -- CALs are CALs and you have written confirmation that they are OK "in conjunction with" MAPS

Looks as if I just made the old price then -- oh well... I'm sure MS will make it up next year!
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X