Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with domain name for SSL Certificate for SSTP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with domain name for SSL Certificate for SSTP!

Hi,

I am not sure if this would be the right forum but posting it here because our environment is Server 2008 R2.

We have a very small network of SAP servers (combination of Server 2003 and Server 200 that are behind a primary server which is running on Windows Server 2008 R2. We have AD, DNS, DHCP, RRAS & Exchange 2010 services running on primary server.

Currently we have PPTP based VPN setup and would like to change this to SSTP, as PPTP port is blocked behind many of our client site firewalls. And since SSTP uses 443 our chances of connection would be better than PPTP.

As per my understanding for SSTP we need to buy a SSL Certificate (which we plan to get from godaddy.com) and import the SSL & Intermediate certificate within IIS 7 and configure RRAS.

Now, my question is when creating a certificate request, what domain name should I give? Domain name of our primary server (which is something like C12W2EX.ABC.INC and unknown on web) where the SSTP is to be configured? Or would we need to buy a separate domain name to re-direct to our primary server IP and use this new domain?

We have a static IP from our ISP so we never bothered to buy a domain name for redirection.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks and Regards,

Re: Help with domain name for SSL Certificate for SSTP!

Never mind I figured it out.

Comment

Would you care to share your solution with us? It will help future readers solve the same problem
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Would you care to share your solution with us? It will help future readers solve the same problem
        I created a 'A' record on our public website domain (something like vpn.mycompany.com) forwarding the requests to our central server public IP address.

I used this address (i.e., vpn.mycompany.com) to for generating Certificate request and bought registered SSL Certificate from godaddy.com

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
        X