Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 2018 Windows Update resets network adaptors

Just in case anyone else sees this:

After installing the March 2018 Windows Updates for server 2008 both our 2008 servers went offline. The NIC's had been reset and static configuration had been wiped and the adaptor was configured to use DHCP instead.

Had to manually configure the adaptors and restore their previous static IP settings.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

It will make headless servers "interesting" for a while

I think it affects a wider range of OSes - Win 7 is certainly mentioned by our friendly vulture: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0..._of_the_world/
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Wow. We had the same issue today. I thought it was a fluke. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Yes, I saw other OS's reported as being affected when I researched it later. We also have three 2012 servers and 25 Win7 clients, but it was only the 2008 servers that were affected. As luck would have it (not!), one of those was a domain controller running DHCP amd holding FSMO roles. It gave itself an APIPA address. The other 2008 server (one of our data servers + mail server), acquired a DHCP address - fine for name based resolution, but our messaging software is configured to use IP addresses and it failed spectacularly, not to mention the inbound port forwarding for IMAP and SMTP from the router...

I've been installing Windows Updates for more than 20 years and this is the first time a server has been affected. I guess I've been lucky!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, were the applied updates the 'Security and Qaulity' variety, the 'Preview...' varity, or the 'Security Only' style? About 15 months ago I had a bad experience with a Server 2012 update which broke Explorer, and the fix was to remove the original update and install the 'Security Only' update. Been doing it that way ever since on my military customer system, and we've been safe so far.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I only apply security and quality roll-ups. I don't install any 'Preview' updates.

Comment

Working...
            X