No announcement yet.

Need Help Move Server 2008 RDS License from Crashed instal 2 new instal same machine

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Move Server 2008 RDS License from Crashed instal 2 new instal same machine

OK, I am not the greatest at server licensing, so here goes. Please forgive the spelling errors in the Topic, I ran out of space...

I have a server that is running Server 2008 r2 Standard. The install of Server is almost 8 years old, and has been moved via bare metal backup from one server to a new one a few years ago. The install of Server has been getting progressively worse, so I want to do a fresh load of Server 2008 on the new system. To do this, I have to format the original load of Windows, since I only have one physical server. I am trying to figure out how to move the RDS CALs (that I have 50 of) from the current installation of Server 2008 to the new installation that will exist after I format the hard drive. I have been searching all over, but all the instructions I have found are as clear as mud. If anyone has any experience doing this, ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. Please keep in mind, while I have been in IT for a long time, my experiences with the Server platform are not that great. So, if you can give instructions that anyone could work out, I would forever be in your debt.
    The original paperwork for the Server CALs is MIA, so I'm kind of stuck... I don't even have the License Key... I guess this is what happens when the old IT guys goes away...

Thank You,
    Thank You,

Probably worth contacting Microsoft Licensing in the first instance. If you can get past the Tier-One monkey and speak to one of the organ-grinders, you are likely to get some good assistance.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **